• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lock Recipe not locking grain absorption in recipes

hausofstrauss

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've just discovered that for my Williams Brewing Mash & Boil that the grain absorption needs to be set at the higher rate of 0.960 fl oz/oz grain, even though I'm basically using it like a BIAB no-sparge.  The problem is that in order to get around this, I need to "fudge" the BIAB grain absorption rate, per the Beersmith blog post http://beersmith.com/blog/2014/01/11/no-sparge-beer-brewing-for-all-grain-brewers/ to match the 0.960 value, even though, I've found 0.586 to be pretty close when I use my BIAB setup.

The problem is that if I go back to a BIAB recipe, it will be re-calculated with the higher standard rate, even though I've selected the "Lock Recipe" checkbox.  So the lock recipe checkbox, really doesn't lock the recipe.  I'm not sure what variables get locked and which ones don't, but if you are to give the impression that you are locking the recipe, you should lock everything down that would be shown within that recipe.  I'd like to know if this is by design or not.  If so, I'd like to know what else won't be locked down.

For better or worse, the grain absorption figures are a "universal" setting.  I change the setting when I switch back to my mash tun versus my high gravity biab with batch sparge.  This has been mentioned several times to make it part of the equipment profile.  Hopefully in the next update.

yes, since the grain absorption is ultimately linked to the equipment, I agree that it should be in the equipment profile.  Annoying that I'll have to go back and fix all recipes until it gets fixed.

Back