• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dealing with Dry hopping after primary.

telemarkus

Brewer
Reaction score
hey all y'all.

I was wondering about a batch i am planning on brewing coming up here. I ferment in a conical and harvest the yeast from the exit valve at the bottom after I am close to my FG. At this point I would like to put in my hops for dry hopping. The beer still continues to ferment at this point, albeit at a slower rate, but do any of you have a timing strategy to make sure you get to leave your dry hops in the secondary long enough and not overshoot your FG?

For example I want to dry hop for 7-9 days, and FG is 1.013, so i figure if I pull the yeast out at 1.015 I should be ok?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

markus

I don't think you should worry about overshooting your FG.  My suggestion is to let the yeast finish, ie same gravity for a few consecutive days, then pull off the yeast and dry hop.

I also don't see any risk in adding the hops while yeast is still going.  I'm drinking my first homebrewed new england ipa right now, which i dryhopped at high krausen, and it's yummy.

I typically dry hop in secondary and don't care if i'm at FG.  I just worry about how long I want the hops to stand before bottling.

I use a conical as well.  For a typical two stage fermentation I drop the trub twice.  After primary and after secondary on bottling day.  Of course if using a ton of dry hops I might have to drop the trub several times during secondary.  When transferring to the bottling bucket I tie on a muslin bag on the end of the discharge hose to catch any hops that remain in the fermenter.

jtoots... New England IPA's are awesome! I just did one for my homebrew club and blew my wad on the hops. Used 20 oz total. Used both in primary and secondary as well as at flame out and 15 minutes in boil... Voted best at the meeting. Nice and cloudy sweet and pungent. So I guess I would say "hop away" at anytime. Didn't do me any harm. I even used the cake for a second batch (Imperial IPA) and it wen't without a hitch.
I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

BILLY BREW said:
jtoots... New England IPA's are awesome! I just did one for my homebrew club and blew my wad on the hops. Used 20 oz total. Used both in primary and secondary as well as at flame out and 15 minutes in boil... Voted best at the meeting. Nice and cloudy sweet and pungent. So I guess I would say "hop away" at anytime. Didn't do me any harm. I even used the cake for a second batch (Imperial IPA) and it wen't without a hitch.
I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

I agree 100%... kind of turned off by all the hype, but man, such tasty juicy stuff.  Cheers!  Congrats on the great reviews at your club!

Back