• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Melanoidin

B

borny

I'm planing on making a California Common and I want to add some of this into the mash.  How, much would you use to obtain a decent flavor from it.  Also I plan on using biscuit in the mash too.

Thanks,
borny

Borny,

Sorry I missed this earlier - you can easily use Melanoidin for as much as 15% of the grain bill.  It is fairly aromatic and malty.  At 20-30L it adds some color (usually slightly reddish) to the beer as well as body and stability.  Ii would personally recomment around 10%.

Biscuit obviously adds a toasted flavor to the malt - I use it commonly in many complex English and Scottish ales.

Cheers!
Brad

borny -- I also missed this thread earlier, a victim of my trip to the States. Did you use the Melanoidin? How did it go? My restart for brewing is delayed until after Feb 4 (too busy at work), and that's when I'll be trying out the Melanoidin that I picked up a few months ago. I'm looking forward to it.

Back