• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stuck Mash

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey Fellers! Got a question. Aside from such grains as rye, oats and corn. What else would make a mash get stuck?
I have a 7 gal Gotte cooler setup with a stainless braided hose. I have run some 60 batches through it with no problems.
I recently began buying my 2 row from another supplier and on the last 2 batches I had a problem getting my wort out and ended up having to pour it out of the Gotte and into a funnel, because the braided hose got completely plugged. The weird thing is that there wasn't that much on the strainer screen of the funnel. My grain bill was basic on both recipes. pale 2 row, Crystal 120 on one and 60 on the other.Anybody got anything? Space aliens? IRS workers? gremlins?

If the 2-row you are now getting is plumper kernels, then you may need to adjust your grinding to suit.  The plumper kernels will end up with more fines and dust if the gap is too narrow.

Back