• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

More Batch Sparge Questions?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Dove a little deeper into Palmer's How To book and of course it provoked a couple of questions:

1.)  Does flow rate matter when batch sparging, the book says a qt/minute but he was also discussing what looked to be continues sparge techniques in relation to the flow rate

2.)  He explains that grind matters in that too find can produce a stuck sparge and the husks are needed to stabilize the grain bed.  This seems important if you are fly sparging but what if you are batch sparging.  I didn't see in there where he said too find a grind can extract harsh flavors, it seemed like it was more of flow  and filter issue.  If I read it right, why do batch spargers care about the grind, obviously not enough will be a problem but if you are batch sparging, is a stuck mash really a concern, I've never had it happen so I'm wondering if I have  more leeway with the size of the grind (more fine) than those who fly sparge?

Of course, with number 2 I'm going to assume I'm incorrect but what am I mising?

Hi,
  1) Using a lower flow rate will increase your efficiency slightly and also reduce the chance of a stuck sparge.

2) Grind does matter - even for batch spargers.  The correct grind will give you good efficiency and also not get a stuck mash.  You can get a stuck mash with batch sparging as well - it can really happen at any point if your grains are milled too finely.

Cheers,
Brad

got it thanks, this is why I started posting on this forum, I would never in a million years have thought that my flow rate might be hurting my efficiency.  It makes some sense after you think about it, but you first have to think about it. 

With my first AG a couple of weeks ago it took me an hour to obtain 28L of sweet wort, continuous.  As I  don't have a grain mill I crushed my grain in an old blender,  and I found that the grain bed in the tun was quite compact that I needed to break it up with a stirring paddle to get the flow moving.  The first runnings were cloudy and a few bits of debris and were pot back in the tun,  but then started to run clear as the false bottom did a good job in filtering.  With an OG at 20C of 1046 I thought I was pretty well in the ball park after a couple of near heart stoppers.  At a quart a minute my runnings are going at half speed so it looks like I will need to invest in a grain mill.

I would think grinding them in a blender might grind them too much.  Isn't there an astringency risk with that?

Also, I think you run the risk of a stuck sparge by doing that as well?

As an aside, I'm not convinced that batch spargers really need to worry that much about their flow rate.  Most of the reading and experience I have had with it would indicate that as a batch sparger you can let the flow go as fast as your system will allow. 

Wildrover said:
As an aside, I'm not convinced that batch spargers really need to worry that much about their flow rate.
I agree. The only time I worry about flow rate is when I am Vorlaughing. I start off slow and don't increase until I have vorlaughed at least 3 times. This ensures that I get a good filter bed for the batch sparge. I think Fly Sparging and when you are automating a Fly Sparge is when you have to worry about flow rate.

Cheers

Preston

No astringency that I could tell, not a bad beer for a Vienna lager but yes you are both right the grain bed is a bit fine using a blender.    Looking at the barley crusher but the aussie dollar has slipped to 15%  against USD,  coupled with the freight makes it a bit expensive,  so might have to go the for the  marga mill here.

Cheers

Back