• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Total Water needed for brewing with extract bug

sagebomb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
"Total water needed" number in "Vols" tab is incorrect. I think because "grain absorption" number was added to it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 16.06.17.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 16.06.17.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 579
First check the recipe type you have stated on the design tab.  It looks like you have marked it as an "all-grain" or "partial mash" recipe, so that the program thinks you are performing some form of mashing.  If this is not the case, then export the recipe as a .bsmx file and post it so we can see how your system is set up.

The recipe type is "extract". Check this one for example.

Attachments

• test.bsmx
    19.7 KB · Views: 248
You can ignore the 'total water added' as it really only applies to an all-grain recipe.  When you print out the brew steps or with any extract only recipe, you will aim to add a base loading of water, like about 6 liters, add in your extract and then check and adjust your volume to reach 6.56 liters for the boil.  Honestly, I don't know how it comes up with that figure for total water in an extract recipe, but it is really meaningless.

I know that this post is old, but I don't think this 'bug' has been fixed. I understand the workaround of just ignoring the "total water needed" volume for extract brewing, but I'd like to put in my vote to see this fixed.
Otherwise, awesome software!
Thanks.

Throwing a "me too...many years later" response.  A search did not turn up another discussion of this issue, but it seems to still exist in BeerSmith 3 Mobile.

I am normally an all-grain brewer, but I am working on an extract recipe.  The "Total Water Needed" value shows 2.5 gals (which is my top up volume).  Given the Estimated Pre-Boil Volume of 3.51 gal I can just figure that I need around that much water.

A side effect is that any water adjustments are out of whack on the Water Profile page.  Since they are only calculated for 2.5 gals, adding 5 grams of Gypsum says I will hit 324 ppm of Sulfate!

Back