• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A recipe I came up with today

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
In my spare time I like just playing around with beersmith and a phone app I have called Wort and wanted to share something I came up with today.

This is a recipe for a British Strong Ale

4 pounds 8oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
4 pounds 8oz Pale Malt(2Row)UK
14oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
1 pound Cara-Pils/Dextrine
6oz Black Patent Malt
1oz Fuggles Hops(60 min boil)
1oz Golding,East Kent Hops(30 min boil)
1oz Galaxy Hops(15 min boil)
1 Package WLP005 British Ale
Half a whirlfloc tablet as this is a 5 gallon batch.(5 min boil)
1 tsp yeast nutrient(5 min boil)

I'm recommending 1 hour wort boil because I think that would be optimal so times for hops account for that.

I hope that you guys like what I came up with and while I have another batch going and can't try it now if someone else wants to I would really like to hear the results!

Thanks

Update: you can replace the pale malt 2row with flaked wheat or barley if you want.

Any particular reason for the half maris otter and half regular 2-row for the base malt? If it was me, I would just stick with one or the other.

Because I thought it was a good idea and I'm trying to stick to the style guidelines or rather what is typical of the style in regards to color,bitterness etc.

If you want to brew this you can change it and let me know, but I am open to suggestions I'll try this once my Witbier is done.

Back