• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

increase potenzial SG of dry extract

danicomix

Apprentice
Reaction score
HI,
i'm an italian homebrewer...sorry for my bad english!!

I want to know if it's possible increase the potential SG of Extra Light Dry Extract from 1.044 to 1.048.

I try to do this but I increase at 1.046 max (100% yield)

thanks

Daniele

Daniele,

The extract potential maxes out at the potential for pure sugar, which is 100% fermentable.  Any malt extract would be less than 100% fermentable due to dextrines, proteins and other unfermentable solids in the extract.  Why are you looking to increase the extract potential beyond what is published?  Is there something you are trying to match where we may be able to help?

I use a dry extract with an SG potential of 1.040 kg/lt. (i've misured this with 100gr. of extract in 1lt. of water).
in beersmith i convert 1.040 in 1.040 /0.8345 = 1.048lb/gal but the maximum is 1.046...

First, let's correct the method of measurement.  For extract potential, you measure a weight of extract (100 grams in your case) and then dissolve that in water and dilute that to 1 liter of extract solution in order to get the correct potential measurement. 

If you measured a specific gravity of 1.040 in your test, that would be on a basis of approximately 1.1 liters (for simplicity sake).  This would put the actual points at around 36.4 points for 100 g.  Multiply this to get to points per kg gives you an extract potential of 364 points/kg/l

To convert this to English units, you now divide this by 8.345 to get 43.6 gravity points/lb/gal.

So the extract potential is 1.0436 for your extract.  Given the slightly greater density than 1.00 g/ml of the extract, you can comfortably round this up to 1.044 for your extract.

i know what you write.... but I've an extract solution of 1lt. becouse i've put water until I arrive at 1liter!!!

I would then suggest that you try to repeat it.  Corn sugar, which is 100% fermentable, will give a potential of 1.046 and this is the maximum you can get. 

I try another one...i've put 100gr of dry extract in a solution with water for a total (water and dry extract) of 1lt.
I read with rifractometer ad densimeter an SG 1.041

If I divide for 0.8345-----> 1.041kg.lt. / 0.8345 ------>1.049lb/gall

It's possible?

Back