Author Topic: Zymurgy article on grain conditioning  (Read 12493 times)

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Zymurgy article on grain conditioning
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »
1.  Bottle exclusively - no room or equipment to keg.
2.  Currently, I use pump solely to move hot water to MLT and HLT.  No pumped wort.  I just got the pump to work flawlessly yesterday for first time.  Next possible step would be to use during cooling to re-circ wort over IC coils.  Wort HSA scares me though.
3.  Thermo on HLT works.  Came with pot off ebay.  I use digital handhelds in the MLT.  Pink disk of foam has a hole in it that I use to get final mash temp before mash-out infusion.
4.  I usually use O2, but have found my transfer method to carboy to be so "foamy" that I wonder if I need it.   See pic.  That nylon bag came from fish store.  It's about 2" by 8" and fits down in neck, thru which I use a sprayer tip to splash and filter at same time.  S/s scrubby in boiler traps 98% of hops/trub; bag gets the rest of hop bits and causes a lot of aeration/foam. 

5.  Thanks.  I copied many friends' best ideas.

Offline econolinevan

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
What sort of sprayer tip do you use?  How does it not get plugged up with the 2% hop/trub particals?

Offline beefnbarley

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »
Last weekend I tried wetting grain before milling.  I hadn't read either article, heard about from a club member.  Be careful.  I added 10% by weight of grain as water or about 0.5 gallon.  TOO MUCH.  Had to add another 5 lbs of dry grain, open the gap all the way just to try and salvage it.  Misting w/ a little water is the way to go.