• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting in corny kegs?

mac21st

Apprentice
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on fermenting in ball lock corny kegs? Obviously a 5 gallon batch in primary you risk a lot of blow off, but I've also read that the geometry of a vessel can effect fermentation. Your thoughts.

I'm about to give it a shot, I think... I pulled a rookie move and transferred to the keg, then checked gravity afterward.  Fermentation didn't finish (come to find out the yeast has a tendency to stall out), so I'm going to add some Safale US-05 to try and get it to finish off.  Once it's done (fingers crossed) I'll probably transfer it to a different keg to get it off the yeast.  I'm thinking blowoff tube.

Yeah I heard hook a blow off to the gas in post and stick the other end in to a bucket of star San should work. I think I'm going to try for primary on my next batch.

Yeah so I ended up doing this yesterday, that's how I did it.  I hooked it up with the gas disconnect, just like if I was coming off of a CO2 tank, but dropped the other end of the tube in a bucket of StarSan.  This morning it was bubbling away.

How did primary go? What was your OG and how much head space was in the keg when you filled it? Was there a lot of blow off?

i haven't opened it up to see how it went, but there was very little headspace and i surprisingly didn't have any krausen get up into the blowoff tube.  Gravity started off about halfway toward finished (this is a saison that i should have warmed up when it slowed but kegged before taking a reading - whoops).

planning on a transfer tomorrow.

Back