• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dehydrating Hops

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just got a SnackMaster with the intent of doing fruits and herbs...Then I thought, hmmmm hops is a herb, of sorts. Anybody dehydrating their hops? Got any advice?
i know the temp should be set around 95 degrees, but has anyone done it? What was the result?
Thanks for the insight.
Bill ???

I thought about using a dehydrator but decided to use a rigged up way to allow larger amounts.
I use a brew in a bag sack (about the size of a pillow case) to hang the hops and put a fan on them. One large pot of hops- 2-1/2 pounds wet reduces down to 7 -1/2 ounces of dry hops in two to three days. I use a blow dryer for a few minutes to finish them. Pound them into a pint -500 ml -mason jar with the end of a wooden spoon. packed tight so no air. I filled one pint jar with 6.5 oz, plus a baggie with one ounce that didnt fit. I estimate it would take about 10 dehydrator batches to do this amount. So dehydrators would work but may not be big enough for the amount of hops you process. This amount I made is from 2 rhizomes of Columbus and this is second year harvest. Picked a tad on the early side but the aromas are more fruity and less earthy.

Attachments

• hopssmall.jpg
    hopssmall.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20170815_1001350.jpg
    IMG_20170815_1001350.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2
Back