• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WL yeast as of late?

mbrierley

Apprentice
Reaction score
Anyone else been having issues with WL yeast?  I've gotten a couple of duds, and then I repitch with wyeast or imperial yeast and boom it takes off.

Nope, ive had a lot of wyeast duds though. I use WL and Imperial and Fermentis exclusively well I did try a couple packets of Nottingham.

Imperial Yeast is hard to get where I live but I have a contact at the company that's sorting that out.

I really have no experience with White Labs, as the LHBS in my area mainly carry Wyeast.  Never had a dud with Wyeast, but I do carry a cooler in the car and an ice pack when I pick up yeast, and it does go straight into my refrigerator when I get home.  I really think that both companies ship good product, but there is no guarantee of the handling in between them and us.  If I were to start getting duds, I would bring the packs back to my LHBS and I pretty much know they would replace them or I would go elsewhere.

I just made a Hefe with WLP 300 Yeast.

Made a 1.5L starter (BeerSmith said I needed 1.4) 1.036 OG from Pale DME

1.046 to 1.014 in 72 hours.  @ 62F  :eek:

Master said:
I just made a Hefe with WLP 300 Yeast.

Made a 1.5L starter (BeerSmith said I needed 1.4) 1.036 OG from Pale DME

1.046 to 1.014 in 72 hours.  @ 62F  :eek:

That's reasonably fast although liquids always slower than the dry stuff in my experience... US-05 has fermented in just a few hours I had krausen form once and drop in 10 hours... Beer reached final gravity no off flavors or smells.

I just brewed an Irish Red Ale with WLP004 that was manufactured 3/31/17. I made a 1.25 liter starter and pitched at 65 F, letting the temperature rise to 67 F where it was held. It fermented from 1.054 to 1.012 in 60-70 hours. This is in line with my previous experience with this yeast over the last 2 years.

GigaFemto said:
I just brewed an Irish Red Ale with WLP004 that was manufactured 3/31/17. I made a 1.25 liter starter and pitched at 65 F, letting the temperature rise to 67 F where it was held. It fermented from 1.054 to 1.012 in 60-70 hours. This is in line with my previous experience with this yeast over the last 2 years.

That yeast was very close to expiring, shelf life is 6 months for liquid.

GigaFemto said:
Yes, I know the yeast was old, but I took that into account when I made the starter, and it did a great job.

Nice I've had a pack of Wyeast American ale 2 in my fridge since July 28th or so when it was made. I really gotta use it lol.

I've also got a WL009 I think it is Australian Ale and s tube if Brettanomyces Lambicus

Back