• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dangers of Carageenan/Whirlifloc

Destroying Angel

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Thought some of you might be interested to read about potential health issues associated with carageenan, and possibly consider leaving your beer cloudy?

Happy brewing,

Joe

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/food-safety/is-carrageenan-safe/

My understanding of how this works in beer is that it helps proteins to form larger clumps which settle out more readily from the wort. Most of that is left in the bottom of the kettle and/or fermenter, so you don't actually consume it.

GigaFemto said:
My understanding of how this works in beer is that it helps proteins to form larger clumps which settle out more readily from the wort. Most of that is left in the bottom of the kettle and/or fermenter, so you don't actually consume it.

His post is garbage as well, it's not scientifically proven and I contacted the FDA, and was advised their is absolutely 0 risk at all with this substance. My sister also works for a company that manufactures pharmaceuticals and chemicals and stuff similar to whirlfloc and she told me it's safe.

0 evidence to back it up.

Back