• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a mash option that

Scratch the above question, a little time with Beer Smith and I should have answered that question myself.

I do wonder about which is the best option for batch sparging.  I realize most people drain their tun first but I have a large cooler that will certainly hold the first batch sparge round.  Should I let the mash do its thing, then add the first batch sparge round without draining the tun or should I drain the tun first?  Then add what looks to be a small volume of water for my first batch sparge round then add my second round would should equal the first running + the first batch sparge round?  Does it matter?

This might sound more like a process question rather than a support question but I'm trying to get my settings in BS honed in. 

Thanks

WR

Hi, 
  The optimal batch sparge is a equal runnings batch sparge (corresponds to checking the "Sparge using equal size batches", but not checking the "Drain mash tun before starting..."

You can easily modify the existing mash out profiles to batch sparge with these options - just make a copy of the profile and modify the copy.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad, as always I appreciate the help.

I did a little bit of research today on youtube (I've picked up a lot of good tips via people posting their all grain process there (and probably some bad ones too)) and I'm wondering if I can safely say that what a lot of people call a "mash out" is, according to BS, really the first Batch Sparge round without draining the mash tun? 

So for optimum efficiency I should let the mash do its thing, then add my first batch sparge water (which some people would call a mash out) drain, then add the second volume of water for my second running?

I'm guessing the option for "drain the mash tun first" is for people who have small mash tun's and really have no choice but to drain the tun before adding any addition infusions of water while the mash options in BS that specify a mash out are geared more for those who fly sparge? 

So, those of us batch spargers desiring optimum efficiency with large tuns should select the batch sparge option and the sparge using equal size batches option while those with smaller tuns should select the drain tun first option and those fly spargers might want to consider a mash profile with a mash out option? 

WR

BeerSmith said:
Hi, 
  The optimal batch sparge is a equal runnings batch sparge (corresponds to checking the "Sparge using equal size batches", but not checking the "Drain mash tun before starting..."

You can easily modify the existing mash out profiles to batch sparge with these options - just make a copy of the profile and modify the copy.

Cheers,
Brad

I had been using the equal sparge water option and it was working very well.  Now it is not.

I have checked, "Sparge using equal size batches", and have, "Drain mash tun before starting..." unchecked.

Yet, the brew sheet does not indicate equal additions.  FWIW, I have the mash tun volume calculated to 50%.

What might I be doing wrong?
TY

Something has changed and now the additions are not offered as being equal.

Hi,
  The optimal version I described is not equal additions, but equal runnings.  Since you already have some water in there from the mash itself you are not going to have equal additions.  The goal is to draw the same amount of water out of the mash tun in each of the batch steps.

Cheers,
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  The optimal version I described is not equal additions, but equal runnings.  Since you already have some water in there from the mash itself you are not going to have equal additions.  The goal is to draw the same amount of water out of the mash tun in each of the batch steps.

Cheers,
Brad

So, I have Beersmith set up correctly.  Do I drain the tun at the end of the mash step, then add the first sparge.  Or, do I add the Sparge on top of the mash, then vorlauf, moving on to the second sparge.

Rep,

This is a good question and one that I do not have a definitive answer for.  Having said that I've been visiting a lot of other brew boards and websites etc. as far as I can tell, this is really up to you.  My guess is that if your tun will hold the initial batch sparge volume of water you can put it in before you drain your tun. 

Doing it this way, using the options in BS is what will allow for two equal runnings.  Having said that though, a scan of the homebrewing world on the internet will show that there are about a thousand different opinions on what the "best" method of batch sparging is. 

As Wildrover said there are lots of interpretations on this subject.

Mine is that I vorlauf then extract the first runnings. Add my First Batch Sparg addition. Vorlauf then pull the First Sparg off the grist (Second Runnings). Then I add my second Sparg addition. Vorlauf then pull the second Sparg off the grist (Tertiary Runnings).

It only makes sense to me. The idea is to flush the sugars off the grains. I think that flushing the grains with two fresh water batch sparg's is the way to go. Basically cleaning the grist.

My 2c.

Cheers

Preston

Back