• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"On the fly" SG, BU/GU correction

rabello

Apprentice
Reaction score
hi guys,

it's been a while I'm trying to figure out a solution to a problema I'm eventually facing with BS.

During a mash, after estimating (on recipe) my efficiency by 70%, my pre-boil SG reaches 1.047. Unfortunately, the BS estimation was 1.040 (my real efficiency was higher than estimated). The SG correction is "simple": add the necessary amount of water to achieve desired SG before boiling...

But ... the addition of more water also affects other parameters, like the IBU calculation, BU/GU ....  Where do I "add" this extra water on BS so it could automatically recalculate everything? How to quickly "recalculate" necessary hops additions to keep BU/GU ratio, etc..?

Is there a EASE (and quick) way fo fix this problem (doing the correct calculations on Beersmith) while the mash is running? :)

Is there a "procedure" to be followed?

sincerely,
Flavio

There really is no way to 'correct' things on the fly as you are brewing.  If you have the correct volume of wort from the mash, then you can go to the design page and adjust the 'BH efficiency' entry above the ingredient box until the estimated gravity matches your actual gravity.  From there you would need to adjust the hops to balance out the BU:GU ratio by hand to reach your intended target.

If your wort volume is off by any significant amount, then you have another issue to deal with: balancing out your water volumes.  You need to get this right before relying too heavily on the BH efficiency to 'fix' your brew.  If this is the case, adjust the volume (assuming that it is low, leading to your higher than expected gravity reading) and then recheck the gravity before making a change to your BH efficiency. 

IMHO, you are best served by brewing out your recipe as designed before making any real changes.  Readjust your BH efficiency and any volume issues you have using the data from this session and then plan on a rebrew if you find the results were not up to what you expected.

Oginme said:
IMHO, you are best served by brewing out your recipe as designed before making any real changes.  Readjust your BH efficiency and any volume issues you have using the data from this session and then plan on a rebrew if you find the results were not up to what you expected.

+1

Oginme said:
There really is no way to 'correct' things on the fly as you are brewing.  If you have the correct volume of wort from the mash, then you can go to the design page and adjust the 'BH efficiency' entry above the ingredient box until the estimated gravity matches your actual gravity.  From there you would need to adjust the hops to balance out the BU:GU ratio by hand to reach your intended target.

If your wort volume is off by any significant amount, then you have another issue to deal with: balancing out your water volumes.  You need to get this right before relying too heavily on the BH efficiency to 'fix' your brew.  If this is the case, adjust the volume (assuming that it is low, leading to your higher than expected gravity reading) and then recheck the gravity before making a change to your BH efficiency. 

Hi Oginme!

Thanks for you answer.

In fact my wort volumes were ok. The only problem was the pre-boil SG (and subsequently the OG). Caused by the underestimated BH efficiency...  Adjusting the parameter before moving to the boil is a good tip, thanks :)

Unfortunately, the extra-water addition (to lower the pre-boil SG) "unbalances" the whole recipe... A menu under the "tools" to help "calculating" those things would be nice. :) Just like the water "salt additions" calculation tool... or the "recipe scaling" function.

Many thanks for your help. It was very elucidative.
hugs from Brazil,
Flavio.

Assuming I've understood the question correctly:

If your pre-boil and original gravities are too high you can change the efficiency percentage until Beersmith shows the actual gravity you achieved. Identify the IBU deficiency, then add a whirlpool hop addition to bring your IBUs up to the desired level. It's a matter of measuring the pre or post boil gravitiy - and trial and error.

Or, brew a few batches and see if the higher gravity issue is consistent and adjust future recipes to compensate.

Or, Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew!

durrettd said:
Assuming I've understood the question correctly:

If your pre-boil and original gravities are too high you can change the efficiency percentage until Beersmith shows the actual gravity you achieved. Identify the IBU deficiency, then add a whirlpool hop addition to bring your IBUs up to the desired level. It's a matter of measuring the pre or post boil gravitiy - and trial and error.

Or, brew a few batches and see if the higher gravity issue is consistent and adjust future recipes to compensate.

Or, Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew!

yes! you got it right!

thanks for your help. I think I will follow this path... adjusting the efficiency and then correcting the hop amount to fix BU/GU ratio...

And, obviously, assume a higher BH Efficiency on the next recipes :)))))

and, "saude!"  (the way we say cheers here in Brazil!)
8)

Back