• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe calls to batch sparge 6 times with a small volume

coyotedale

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I downloaded a Union Jack clone recipe, I've adjusted to both my equipment profile and mash profile. The original callout was to fly sparge, but I batch sparge, so no big deal. The strange thing is the mash steps calls to batch sparge 6 times, with just a bit under 1.5 gal per batch.

Is this correct? Seems that there would barely be enough sparge water per step to effectively rinse and set the grain bed. Wouldn't it be better to adjust this manually to batch sparge twice?

I fly sparge, but I would agree with you that you would probably want water similar to your mash in volume. So probably 2-3 batches I would think? ???

If you changed it to your mash profile, is there something in the sparge step which limits how much water can be added?  Typically, BeerSmith calculates the sparge based upon the remaining wort volume required after draining the mash and automatically calculates the steps from there.  You can limit the amount of a sparge step by putting caps on the volume of the mash tun which can be filled or by unchecking to drain the mash tun before sparging.  Maybe if you saved the recipe as a .bsmx file and posted it here we can see what else may be affecting how the sparge is being conducted.

Hopefully the file will attach. But here is a marzen I downloaded off of the recipe file and saved to my own. I've adapted my equipment and mash profile, and you will see the mash steps. 3 batches, small amounts of water. I've seen some with even more batches,, one converted up to 6 batches, with a bit more than a gallon per batch,, so I know that isn't right

Attachments

• marzen adapted copy.bsmx
    20.1 KB · Views: 13
OK, several things are sticking out.  First, you have the batch sparge to divide the sparge into 'equal size batches'.  So when the sparge is configured, it will make the sparge steps of equal volume.

The recipe you attached had two sparge steps following a draining of the mash tun.  If I take off the 'equal batch sparge' selection, it changes the sparge volumes to 5.56 gal and 3.9 gal, with the limitation being the size of your mash tun with wet grains and your mash tun loss.  If you change the sparge volume to fill 100% of the mash tun, you shift about a gallon of sparge water into the first sparge step.

Next, you are mashing at 1.25 qts/lb of water, which is about the minimum level you can effectively mash at and get good extraction.  Try upping this ratio a bit to make better use of the volume of your mash tun.  You have about 1.35 gal of free space in your mash tun and can transfer that to your initial infusion by increasing your water to grain ratio to 1.4 qts per gallon.

Since you are trying to fit a 12 gallon batch through a 10 gallon mash tun, this is probably about as good as your are going to get.  My guess is that when you have a higher grain loading and slightly more sparge water, that it bumps up against the 90% capacity limitation for the sparge creating  third water addition.  Since you have it set for equal sparge additions, it takes the total sparge water and divides it evenly among the three sparge steps.  This creates the sub-optimal (in terms of throughput) sparge volume additions that you describe.

Ok, I've played with the settings on my mash profile, and see how I can manipulate the water qty to use. Thanks again for that tip. For me, this is like building a race car; there isn't a manual, and no two are alike. So you gotta just mess with it, take notes, mess with it more till you find what it wants.

I see my mash tun is the weak link for now, and will be upgraded to a 25 gallon kettle, much like what I'm using for my HLT and BK.

And there are so many details to consider, more than my average brain can absorb at a given time. I cannot thank you enough for the guidance.

Back