• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HLT deadspace

MDE

Apprentice
Reaction score
New BeeerSmith user here and very impressed, having hacked it with spreadsheets for more years than I care to recall.
I'm not sure these questions have been answered fully elsewhere, but if they have, perhaps someone can point me there.
1. I always heat more water than I need, partly because there is a deadspace in the HLT and partly because the excess can be used for cleaning. However, BeerSmith seems to assume that all water is either used or left behind in the lauter. One option is to mentally add on the extra water needed, but that makes the water treatment calculations incorrect. I guess another option is to call it lauter tun deadspace, but that then gives a misleading sparge step. Am I missing something?
2. A slightly related question - I tend to add water treatment salts to the grains, not the water as (particularly with gypsum) it gives greater confidence that they will be properly dissolved. However, this means that the salt additions should only be calculated for the mash water, not the full amount of water (and then acid can be used in the sparge water). Is this right and how do I do this in BeerSmith?

1.  There are two settings in the equipment profile.  The mash tun deadspace is water that is "lost" to the system.  The "Mash water addition" is water that is recoverable (such as recoverable space below the mash screen).

2. For salt additions, I guess you could add two different water additions to the recipe.  One for the mash volume which would have the water additions as part of the water profile and another that would not.

Brad

Back