• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problem with beer on tap

madchef77

Brewer
Reaction score
So recently with the last several brews that I have put on tap they have foamed up like crazy when pouring out of the tap. The carbonation lvl is around 5-8, the beer is cold. Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this and how can I go about fixing this issue.

I don't know but that's weird, from what your telling me it doesn't sound super carbonated but it does sound like it is foaming over from too much carbonation, what kind of beer is it?

When you say your carbonation level is 5-8 is that the psi or the volumes of CO2?

How long has it been carbonated and how long has it been cold? 

Another length question: how long is your line from keg to faucet?  If it is too short, then there is not enough friction in the line to slow down the flow of beer to a laminar flow where it will not release the CO2 gas.

its been the last several beers. from Wheats, Ipas, stouts.

-the carbonation lvl is at 5 psi. So the lowest it should be. I've even let out pressure and that doesn't seem to help.
-its been carbonated for weeks same with being cold. kept around 43-45 degrees.
-my lines are long enough where I have to wrap them up.
-I've never had a problem with this ever before. Its very frustrating especially when someone doesn't know about it and I have beer everywhere!!!

could something be clogged?   

madchef77 said:
could something be clogged? 

Once a buddy of mine found the source to be some clogging at the end of the beer dip tube.  I guess the turbulence was causing it?  Sorry, that's the only idea I have so far if this is a setup that hasn't been causing you problems previously.

When was the last time you thoroughly inspected and cleaned you beer lines? I had a similar problem several years ago and found the beer line just below the elbow behind the faucet was plugged almost solid. The effect was just like trying to pour a beer with the faucet not opened fully. The sudden drop in pressure after the restriction causes CO2 to immediately come out of solution.

It's weird that it's recently only, but have to ask, is your line balanced?  Assuming your taps are 2 feet from middle of keg, and if 3/16th lines which average 2 lbs per foot resistance, a line balancing calculator tells me at 8 psi your lines should be only 3.5 feet long, at 5 PSI only 2 feet long.  Since you said your lines are long enough to wrap them, it seems like your lines are too long for the PSI setting.  Why you did not have a problem before is a puzzle.      Check this out:
http://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/info/kegbalance.shtml]

Ok, after tearing everything apart, cleaning my lines and soda kegs everything seems to be working great again.
Thanks for all the help beer friends. 

Back