• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cornelius Maxi for Chilling Wort

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Anbody have any experience with chilling wort from boiling down to pitching temp using a cornelius Maxi or similar. I know these are typically used as chillers for serving beer but it could be possible to send the boiling wort through the chiller ??

Thoughts please

Possibly it may not be  designed for high temperatures. The fittings, tubing and such could release undesirables.
  I have a counterflow 50ft chiller.  Mash King I think . Stainless 3/8" tube inside a larger poly pipe, coiled up. Fastest chill with one pass. From 200f down to 70 f ; pump throttled back to  about half  gallon wort every minute .  Answer to my desired upgrade from copper immersion coil.
Silicon tubing and Stainless hosebarbs.

We have a Cornelius Maxi we use for cold crashing a 300 lt fermenter. If you're using it for cooling wort though i would recommend chilling a separate vessel of water that you use for the cooling process, that way you're not sending boiling hot wort into the chiller, which i don't think would be capable of maintaining the cold temperature. Cooling a seperate large vessel of water though you can calculate exactly how much cold water you need for the cooling and not risk damaging the machine.

Back