Author Topic: Cornelius Maxi for Chilling Wort  (Read 2398 times)

Offline MRMARTINSALES

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Cornelius Maxi for Chilling Wort
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »
Hi,

Anbody have any experience with chilling wort from boiling down to pitching temp using a cornelius Maxi or similar. I know these are typically used as chillers for serving beer but it could be possible to send the boiling wort through the chiller ??

Thoughts please

Offline twhitaker

• Beer, It's the best damn drink in the world! - Jack Nicholson
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Canadian Amateur Brewers Assoc. member since 1987
Re: Cornelius Maxi for Chilling Wort
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
Possibly it may not be  designed for high temperatures. The fittings, tubing and such could release undesirables.
  I have a counterflow 50ft chiller.  Mash King I think . Stainless 3/8" tube inside a larger poly pipe, coiled up. Fastest chill with one pass. From 200f down to 70 f ; pump throttled back to  about half   gallon wort every minute .  Answer to my desired upgrade from copper immersion coil.
Silicon tubing and Stainless hosebarbs.
On tap: 1/2keg cream ale with corn grits
             1/4 keg-  Trappist Quad Ale w/ oak
Day 10 primary: West Coast I.P.A. with homegrown columbus hops 46 liters

Offline Fettucini

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Cornelius Maxi for Chilling Wort
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
We have a Cornelius Maxi we use for cold crashing a 300 lt fermenter. If you're using it for cooling wort though i would recommend chilling a separate vessel of water that you use for the cooling process, that way you're not sending boiling hot wort into the chiller, which i don't think would be capable of maintaining the cold temperature. Cooling a seperate large vessel of water though you can calculate exactly how much cold water you need for the cooling and not risk damaging the machine.