• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil off rates - a body know the answer?

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't know if anyone knows the answer to this but would 30litres of water boil off the same amount as 60litres of water for 60 minutes?

Hope that makes sense

Greetings MRMARTINSALES - the answer to your question is: Yes. Providing the vessel used for this test is the same.

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

Don't know if anyone knows  I'll also give SizeGenetics from  http://aboutmens.com/sizegenetics-review/  a try. the answer to this but would 30litres of water boil off the same amount as 60litres of water for 60 minutes?

Hope that makes sense

I ran an experiment yesterday with my new equipment for all grain brewing.....to determine losses during boil-off and cooling in preparation for my first all-grain brewing sesskion scheduled for tomorrow. This was water only of course.

10 gallon SS pot, Bayou Burner
6.5 gal Starting volume
Ambient Temp = 74.6 F

1.3 gal boil loss (55 min)
0.3 gal cooling loss (30 mins) (final temp = 90 F)

I was a bit surprised that the % of boiloff was close to 20%.....only because Beersmith "recommends" a range between 5-15%....but of course what really matters is your own specific set-up.

PLUS.....boiloff should not change based on the volume of starting water (all other things equal).....if I sart with 5 gallons or 10 gallons with the same heat addtiion rate, the total boiloff would be the same either way.

However, the 10 gallon PERCENT boiloff would be half that of the PERCENT boilff in the 5 gallon batch.

So I guess what really matters is that I make sure the total boiloff in beersmith is correct...i.e. adjust the PERCENT input so that I always get a 1.3 gallon boiloff (for a 55 minute boil).......etc

Just wanted to make sure I am not off base here guys.....feedback on your typical boiloff rates would be appreciated.

Greetings group - my boiloff rate is 1.5 gallons in 60 minutes. My 15 gallon boil kettle, however, is roughly 18" in diameter. Therefore, a wide area for evaporation.

Back