• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Adjustments for 10 Gallon Batch

sapperbrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently moved to doing 10 gallon batches. Doing a New England Style Pale this weekend and working on my water adjustments. Using the Mash tool in BeerSmith, it is telling me that I need to add 15.7ml of Lactic Acid to achieve my desired pH based on my base water. Obviously this seems crazy high to me so I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on whether or not this seems in line for 10 gallon batches or if something seems off. (Grist below)

73% Golden Promise
12% Munich
12% Flaked Oats
3% Honey Malt

SRM calculates to 5.5

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Greetings sapperbrew - it has been my experience using the pH adjustment tool in BS that it tends to over estimate the amount needed.  So, with that knowledge, I typically wait about 15 minutes before taking a pH reading of my mash.  Then add half what BS recommends and mix the mash very well and wait another 5 minutes, take another reading and make a final adjustment accordingly.  This seems to work pretty well for me.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the response.

I actually plugged everything into the Brewer's Friend water tool to see what it came up with and it was suggesting 10.92 which to me sounds closer to an accurate amount.

Back