• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

British Golden Ale

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Any thoughts on the attached recipe.

iM attempting a british golden ale, therefore ustilising british hops Fuggles and using Some US Cascade and fuggles late on.

Any thoughts or comments on how this may turn out or anybody experiences a similar recipe before?

Thanks

Attachments

• golden ALE.pdf
    435.4 KB · Views: 364
MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

Any thoughts on the attached recipe.

iM attempting a british golden ale, therefore ustilising british hops Fuggles and using Some US Cascade and fuggles late on.

Any thoughts or comments on how this may turn out or anybody experiences a similar recipe before?

Thanks

I wouldn't use Cascade I would use instead of Fuggles east Kent Golding which is much better for most British styles and more traditional.

Thanks for the tip.

Does that appear to be a good hop schedule non the less if i was to change cascade for East Kent Goldings

Regards

A lot of people believe that Golden Ale arose in the 1980's but it has appeared in the Whitbread brewing records as early as the 1930's*. (they were classified in style as a pale ale) A recipe from the 1950's used only Goldings hops -- .75oz at 90 mins -- .75oz at 60 mins -- .75oz at 30 mins and 1oz dry hopped.

*Btw, here is an advert from 1868! that used the term "Golden Ale".

MRMARTINSALES said:
Thanks for the tip.

Does that appear to be a good hop schedule non the less if i was to change cascade for East Kent Goldings

Regards

It would work, but Cascade is a fruity American hop it would pull out flavors not associated with English ales and seem way out of place honestly. I would also recommend buying distilled water and treating it with Burton water salts to get the best results as far as accurate water profile. I would also use a traditional English yeast maybe S-04 or Nottingham if you want to go liquid White Labs has a ton of good English yeast strains.

Thanks, so if I was to swap the cascade for east Kent goslings. Would that be a more appropriate hop schedule?

MRMARTINSALES said:
Thanks, so if I was to swap the cascade for east Kent goslings. Would that be a more appropriate hop schedule?

EKG@60 mins
Fuggles@39 min
EKG@15
Fuggles@5

Hi OP, did the recipe work for you? I'd love to try so interested in your experience. The best British ale I tried was in Bristol. It was so good I instantly felt like buying a house in England and becoming a local farmer and brewer :D Though when I checked the prices afterwards https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/detached/ I thought I'd better stay where I belong  :eek: ;D

Actually, American citrusy hops are common in this style and well within BJCP guidelines below:

Aroma: Hop aroma is moderately low to moderately high, and can use any variety of hops ? floral, herbal, or earthy English hops and citrusy American hops are most common. Frequently a single hop varietal will be showcased. Little to no malt aroma; no caramel. Medium-low to low fruity aroma from the hops rather than esters. Little to no diacetyl.
Appearance: Straw to golden in color. Good to brilliant clarity. Low to moderate white head. A low head is acceptable when carbonation is also low. Flavor: Medium to medium-high bitterness. Hop flavor is moderate to moderately high of any hop variety, although citrus flavors are increasingly common. Medium-low to low malt character, generally bready with perhaps a little biscuity flavor. Caramel flavors are typically absent. Little to no diacetyl. Hop bitterness and flavor should be pronounced. Moderately-low to low esters. Medium-dry to dry finish. Bitterness increases with alcohol level, but is always balanced. Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Low to moderate carbonation on draught, although bottled commercial versions will be higher. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth, but this character should not be too high. Comments: Well-hopped, quenching beer with an emphasis on showcasing hops. Served colder than traditional bitters, this style was originally positioned as a refreshing summer beer, but is now often brewed year-round. Although early on the beers were brewed with English hops, increasingly American citrus-flavored hops are used. Golden Ales are also called Golden Bitters, Summer Ales, or British Blonde Ales. Can be found in cask, keg, and bottle.

Back