• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need Some Help/Critiqueing on my next planned brew

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I am planning to brew a English IPA and have attached my planned brew, I did do some tweaking to it but I was wondering if any brits could give me an American some tips and tweaks to brew your beer style properly, I always try to go the most traditional that I can before I move on to trying something a bit crazier.

I am using distilled water which I treated with minerals until It matched Burton On Trent Water to get realistically the most accurate taste, I am also Using White Labs Burton Ale Yeast.

Attachments

• EIPA.bsmx
    25 KB · Views: 5
Step 1 would be to call it an ESB not an IPA ;)

Kudos on matching the water profile!  Let us know how that yeast works out.  I've been impressed at how many good english ale yeasts there are out there, and how different the results are.  I do a lot of 10 gallon batches splitting into 2x5, then use different yeasts in each 5. 

Good luck!

jtoots said:
Step 1 would be to call it an ESB not an IPA ;)

Kudos on matching the water profile!  Let us know how that yeast works out.  I've been impressed at how many good english ale yeasts there are out there, and how different the results are.  I do a lot of 10 gallon batches splitting into 2x5, then use different yeasts in each 5. 

Good luck!

Do you agree with my choice in hops??? I figured that I picked some good hops, I wanted to add some light fruityness hence the sovereign, as an American I'm obviously not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to UK beer so I just needed a quick bit of advice :).

Ck27 said:
Do you agree with my choice in hops??? I figured that I picked some good hops, I wanted to add some light fruityness hence the sovereign, as an American I'm obviously not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to UK beer so I just needed a quick bit of advice :).

If you're trying to keep it traditional as you mentioned in your original post, I'd suggest going with purely continental hops like EKG, especially when it comes to any later additions.  Sorry I'm not at home with BS loaded up so I can't see the recipe file.
*full disclosure, I'm not British, living in Boston*
If you don't have "Brewing Classic Styles" I'd highly recommend it.  Also "Designing Great Beers".

jtoots said:
Ck27 said:

If you're trying to keep it traditional as you mentioned in your original post, I'd suggest going with purely continental hops like EKG, especially when it comes to any later additions.  Sorry I'm not at home with BS loaded up so I can't see the recipe file.
*full disclosure, I'm not British, living in Boston*
If you don't have "Brewing Classic Styles" I'd highly recommend it.  Also "Designing Great Beers".

I've got EKG,Fuggle,Sovereign hops In recipe

Sounds good!  I haven't used the yeast you're proposing, but from what I read it ought to contribute a good english style fruitiness that you describe you're going for.  Enjoy!

Back