• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

bottling with aluminum bottles

loki28

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anybody tried bottling with those Coors Light aluminum bottles.  I can get my hands on a ton of these and was wondering if they would work for brewing.  We've been kegging everything so far but I'd like to be a little more mobile with some of my brew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

loki28 said:
Has anybody tried bottling with those Coors Light aluminum bottles.  I can get my hands on a ton of these and was wondering if they would work for brewing.  We've been kegging everything so far but I'd like to be a little more mobile with some of my brew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I haven't tried and u don't know if it's safe, can they hold pressure well if not they could become bottle bombs.

I have a case of 12oz Iron City Al bottles that i've used about a dozen times, also have a few Basecamp 16 oz that I also use regularly. i love em cuz they're lightweight and unbreakable- great for picnics etc. I'm sure they have a much higher pressure rating since the metal is much more pliant than glass and I suppose would just split/tear, whereas a scratch on a glass bottle could become a hairline crack and explode. Had a couple problems with leaky seals so make sure you really clamp em good with the capper. I use them mostly for testers because they chill fast and I want to empty them soon for my next batch, so I can't vouch for long term aging.

They should hold pressure just fine, but I would be embarrassed to put my beer in Coors Lite containers. With bottles you can scrape off the labels and nobody knows where they came from, but I think the aluminum ones are painted and not so easily scrubbed.

A couple of years ago I was in a pub in England and a guy ordered a Foster's. The bartender pulled the handle and it spurted a bit of foam, then stopped because it was empty. The guy then asked for a Coors Lite, and when the bartender pulled the handle it spurted a bit of foam and then stopped because it was empty. I turned to the fellow next to me and asked "What is your third choice when your second choice was Coors Lite?"

--GF

Back