• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for insights to our first brew.

auduni

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Me and a pal are about to embark on our first brew, using a Braumeister Speidel 50L. As we thought our first attempt should be something not too complicated, so we thought we'd go for the recipe that Braumeister have posted themselves for a classic IPA. The recipe is as follows:

"55 l of brewing water to start with plus sparging water
10.0 kg Pale Ale malt
1.0 kg Carapils
124 g Centennial hops (12.3 % alpha)
250 g Cascade hops (6.8 % alpha)
1 packet Yeast Safale US-05

METHOD

MASH PROGRAMME
63 ?C ? Start mashing
63 ?C ? 70 min
73 ?C ? 5 min
78 ?C ? 5 min
Boiling ? 80 min
HOP ADDITION
62 g Centennial ? 70 min before end of boil
62 g Centennial ? 55 min before end of boil
100 g Cascade ? 40 min before end of boil
75 g + 75 g Cascade ? End of boil + cooling

ORIGINAL GRAVITY
12 ?P with 52 litres

FERMENTATION
Fermentation temperature at around 22 ?C

MATURING
2-3 days at room temperature, followed by 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator at 5 ?C"

We'll split this brew on two 25L fermentation buckets.

The only modifications we'd like to do to this brew is to replace 1 kg of Pale malt with 1 kg of oats, as people claim it might get a creamier and better mouth feel with some oats in it.

And after a week of fermentation, we thought we'd dry hop with 100g of Simcoe and 100g of Citra in one bucket, and 100g Mosaic and 100g Citra in the other and then leave it for another week in the bucket. We'll try to use CO2 to purge out potential oxygen that would enter the buckets (using the SodaStream with a hose-trick, if people are familiar with that) whilst dry hopping.

What's the verdict on the recipe? Any good hints and tips that people with experience from similar brews would like to add or make us aware of? We'd be very interested to see if others here have tried something similar, and maybe even on a Speidel 50L.

We're grateful for any tips (preferably not too complicated ones) that might add to making our first brew a successful one.

Best, Audun

PS: We'll use normal tap water from the local source here in Norway as it apparently is of high quality and is certified in any possible fashion when it comes to compositions of minerals, ph-wise etc... It's even been UV-treated as far as I've heard.

It's a good recipe. Don't be too ambitious. The simple recipes are often the best.
1kg of oats is more than you need to add mouthfeel. I'd use half that amount.  Use instant oats (the type sold in supermarkets for instant porrige) as they are pre-gelitinized and will convert in the mash.
The recipe is fine as it stands without dry hopping. You could dry hop one fermenter though. I'd use Centennial.
I wait until the fermentation drops to 1.020 before I add dry hops. You need to add them after the initial fermentation had died down.

Back