• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My American IPA Recipe

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I wanted to share my latest Recipe which I aptly named Columbus Took A Chance! you will find out why when you look at the recipe, again please give me credit for any use of it anywhere but for personal brewing.

It features a interesting mix of hops, malts and a interesting yeast selection. But then again I'm kind of known for being a bit out of place with my brews, if someone tells me that I cannot make a beer a certain way, ill do it to prove them wrong. I like doing my own thing.

Heres the file, Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Columbus Took A Chance.bsmx
    28.4 KB · Views: 344
Here's a picture from Baron Von MunchKrausen of this beer in action I thought I would attach it so you all can get a good picture of it in primary.

I guess the moral of the picture is that you need a blowoff tube or you likely will end up with a explosive mess with this yeast and or recipe. This is Omega Tropical IPA Yeast. It is a vigorous beast.

Yup!
I'm anticipating a very fruity IPA from this recipe.
Omega Tropical OYL-200 ferments very warm. It's currently sitting at 80F and I'll ramp it up to 82 tomorrow.
Smells heavenly. Kudos to Ck27 for posting this!
I'll report how it finishes.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Yup!
I'm anticipating a very fruity IPA from this recipe.
Omega Tropical OYL-200 ferments very warm. It's currently sitting at 80F and I'll ramp it up to 82 tomorrow.
Smells heavenly. Kudos to Ck27 for posting this!
I'll report how it finishes.

Yep, part of the reason for the 6 row because people have commented about it is that it adds more flavor in my testing as well as in my opinion thicken the body a bit, idk why but it just seems like it to me, and I might just be crazy but that's why. That and it adds a bit of protein to the brew. If you don't want it you can use 2 row and it will work just fine just have to adjust or you will drop the gravity a good deal.

Here's Ck27's recipe adjusted for my equipment.
This beer looks like a real winner.
Traditionally, 6 row seems to help with adjuncts (corn, rice, oats, etc.) but I'm going with Ck27's testing on this.
Can't wait to try it.

Attachments

• ColumbusTookAChance.bsmx
    29.5 KB · Views: 243
Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Here's Ck27's recipe adjusted for my equipment.
This beer looks like a real winner.
Traditionally, 6 row seems to help with adjuncts (corn, rice, oats, etc.) but I'm going with Ck27's testing on this.
Can't wait to try it.

Just took a look and have to say that this is a beer that if you drink 2 or 3 you will be feeling it. Its moderately high in alcohol which is good because higher alcohol beers keep longer in bottles, and because it is high but not so high as to throw the balance off. I was going for mixing traditional IPA's with Modern American IPA's and back in the day IPA's had unusually have levels of alcohol for the time.

Back