• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug with Water Profile Input to Recipe

joeinma

Brewer
Reaction score
Been using the water profile tool in Beersmith to create my water profiles and noticed something today.  Under Water Profile tool, I add RO water base profile with 9.32 gallons (BIAB no sparge), then I manually entered salts additions, specifically 6.3 grams of Calcium Chloride.  Per John Palmer's How to Brew, calcium chloride has 3.4 grams in a teaspoon. So I should have 1.85 teaspoons.

However, when I go to my recipe and add the water profile and 9.32 gallons needed, when the salt additions are pulled in, the software is saying 0.22 teaspoons of CaCL2 is what my addition should be instead of 1.85.  So something is getting lost in the translation.  This may explain why my last three batches, where I used BeerSmith instead of Bru'n Water, my pH has not been close to the BeerSmith's.   

Also, why do gypsum and calcium chloride pull into a recipe from water profiles in teaspoons and all other water salts are in grams?

Check the units you have specified for the water salts in the 'misc ingredients' profiles.  If they are set to 'tsp' instead of 'g' they will appear in the recipe as 'tsp' even though the water profile tool uses grams. 

It may be that the conversion from 'tsp' to 'g' in the program is incorrect for these specific salts (or in general). 

Note also that your water volume to treat in the water profile should represent your average batch.  From there, the program will make slight adjustments to the salts additions to reflect the infusion water for the batch.  I rarely change batch size and almost always do full volume BIAB, so the changes have been minor for me. 

Back