• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is this where home brewing is headed?

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Kitchen counter top brewing system
Watch the video.
Insert your pre-packaged kit and press the button.
What's happening to the pride of craftsmanship?

I hate that garbage, now the picobrew zymatic is not as bad as you still put in your ingredients and recipe, of course I much prefer doing my own all grain batches or even extract recipe kits, I have a lot of good times with extract kits. They produce some good beers.

As with any hobby, pursuit, infatuation, there are a number of people who do it based upon their own reasons and goals.  I would guess that those who brew beer simply to drink beer are on this forum and this type of device would certainly appeal to those types of people.

If this is what gets them interested in brewing, then so be it and more power to them. 

Oginme said:
As with any hobby, pursuit, infatuation, there are a number of people who do it based upon their own reasons and goals.  I would guess that those who brew beer simply to drink beer are on this forum and this type of device would certainly appeal to those types of people.

If this is what gets them interested in brewing, then so be it and more power to them.

Picobrew doesn't really sell that many to consumers they told me that most of their customers are breweries who use them to prototype recipies as the variables are the same and its consistent

I'm new to home brewing, but I recently wrote a blog about similar devices to the Picobrew system that you might be interested in taking a look at. It's on my new blog, Brewing by Night
I think these automated home brewing machines are good for people who want to brew their own beer but don't have the patience for making it from scratch. Oginme has a good point; the devices certainly would appeal to those who simply want to drink a beer they've 'made'.

The machines take the complexity out of the brewing process, but they're also taking away any opportunity to get creative because you end up with a machine that can only do one thing. I likened them to Nespresso machines that take away the art of a barista.

It makes me wonder about the motives of those who use the machines. If they wanted something on their bench top that quickly brews a beer with little fuss and ready to drink, why wouldn't they just go to a shop and buy something already bottled? I guess is that it's the same reason people by bread making machines?

brewingbynight said:
I'm new to home brewing, but I recently wrote a blog about similar devices to the Picobrew system that you might be interested in taking a look at. It's on my new blog, Brewing by Night
I think these automated home brewing machines are good for people who want to brew their own beer but don't have the patience for making it from scratch. Oginme has a good point; the devices certainly would appeal to those who simply want to drink a beer they've 'made'.

The machines take the complexity out of the brewing process, but they're also taking away any opportunity to get creative because you end up with a machine that can only do one thing. I likened them to Nespresso machines that take away the art of a barista.

It makes me wonder about the motives of those who use the machines. If they wanted something on their bench top that quickly brews a beer with little fuss and ready to drink, why wouldn't they just go to a shop and buy something already bottled? I guess is that it's the same reason people by bread making machines?

Pardon my language but I don't give a fuck about picobrews because lets be honest if you want to get creative and brew really good beer your going to do it with your own setup, the beer produced by the picobrew is not really good beer. It takes the fun out of making a batch, out of experimenting, and most importantly it costs a hell of a lot more money???? why pay $2000 when for $500 you can have a better setup and do all grain......

And you are right the buyers of a picobrew would be better off buying commercial or craft beer at a store than making beer.

The system itself is around $750. Then the "picopaks" are around $25-$30 each. These are clone kits of craft beers. One pack will produce 13 bottles of beer. That's quite a bit of money, presumably to tell your buddies, "I made this."

There will probably be an increasing market for Picobrew and simiilar devices. Our world is becoming an on-demand, push-button, instant gratification experience. Take a look at Amazon Dash.

The system itself is around $750. Then the "picopaks" are around $25-$30 each. These are clone kits of craft beers. One pack will produce 13 bottles of beer. That's quite a bit of money, presumably to tell your buddies, "I made this."

There will probably be an increasing market for Picobrew and simiilar devices. Our world is becoming an on-demand, push-button, instant gratification experience. Take a look at Amazon Dash.

Picobrew has been having financial issues lately so I'm hoping they go bankrupt and lose everything. Would kill any prospects of them causing any issues to the market. Realistically people are turning away from electronics, tv providers are losing customers Amazon is losing customers cell phone carriers new users are declining.

Picobrew is the K-cup of brewing. I don't use K-cups for coffee because I like my coffee strong, and with the little cartridges you have no control over it.

It also reminds me of all the people I see riding electric bikes. Some of us like the work/fun and satisfaction of having done something with your own power. Others just want the result and don't think that all the work is fun. I side with Ck27, but I know there are a lot of people who think differently.

--GF

Honestly, what other people invest in to make beer doesn't really affect me, so why get worked up over it.  I have looked at the Picobrew system since there is a good 6 months of every year that are especially difficult for me to find the time to brew at all.  If some people want to think that they are producing good beer using the automated brewing systems (and who knows they may actually be making good beer), more power to them.  When I started several years ago making 10 liter batches (~2.7 gal) I was told that it was a waste of time and energy and I should move to 5-gal batches.  Since then, it has become more common to make 2 to 3 gallon batches and 1 gal kits have really taken off.  It is not about how much you make or what process you use or if you use kits or make your own recipes, it is about doing what you enjoy and what fits your needs/wants.

I mean, heck, there are still people out there that think pumpkin spiced beer is a good thing  ;).

Oginme said:
Honestly, what other people invest in to make beer doesn't really affect me, so why get worked up over it.  I have looked at the Picobrew system since there is a good 6 months of every year that are especially difficult for me to find the time to brew at all.  If some people want to think that they are producing good beer using the automated brewing systems (and who knows they may actually be making good beer), more power to them.  When I started several years ago making 10 liter batches (~2.7 gal) I was told that it was a waste of time and energy and I should move to 5-gal batches.  Since then, it has become more common to make 2 to 3 gallon batches and 1 gal kits have really taken off.  It is not about how much you make or what process you use or if you use kits or make your own recipes, it is about doing what you enjoy and what fits your needs/wants.

I mean, heck, there are still people out there that think pumpkin spiced beer is a good thing  ;).

Haha I brew to keep history alive I brew a lot of old dead recipies and bring them back to honor then for what they are. And to keep them from fading away. It's my way of protecting history and making sure that in the future people will be able to appreciate them. I would like some more people to assist one of these days. I've always been a history buff and because of that I can combine beer and history and do something useful and safeguard beer styles.

On one hand, I'd like to think I can say "more power to picobrewers". On the other hand however,  I can't help but think that an automated home brew system completely misses the point of what makes home brewing fun. It's not worth fighting it, and no one I know has argued for it's quality or fun that i've seen.

Maples said:
On one hand, I'd like to think I can say "more power to picobrewers". On the other hand however,  I can't help but think that an automated home brew system completely misses the point of what makes home brewing fun. It's not worth fighting it, and no one I know has argued for it's quality or fun that i've seen.

Well picobrew beer isn't real beer its the instant coffee of the beer world. At the very least ban picobrew fr competitions and call it a day.

LOL..Not getting worked up over it.
Buying a kit, putting it in a box, and pressing a button doth not a craft brewer make.
Sure.. this has a market. Perhaps some of the "picopack" brews are not available to some folks at the local liquor store, and this is the only way they are going to get their fix of "Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA"
That's fine... It's just not "home brewing" in every sense of the term,.

LOL..Not getting worked up over it.
Buying a kit, putting it in a box, and pressing a button doth not a craft brewer make.
Sure.. this has a market. Perhaps some of the "picopack" brews are not available to some folks at the local liquor store, and this is the only way they are going to get their fix of "Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA"
That's fine... It's just not "home brewing" in every sense of the term,.

Agreed!

#Picobrew is not real homebrew!

Of course not saying picobrew wouldn't be good for testing as it would keep variables the same. Which is why if I was loaned one by picobrew I might have better stuff to say but I wouldn't pay $1999 for one that's for sure.

#Texas Brewing Inc
If you are looking for a trustworthy and professional supplier of draft and serving equipment, ingredients, and other related products, then definitely contact us.  :)

Ck27 said:
Maples said:

Well picobrew beer isn't real beer its the instant coffee of the beer world. At the very least ban picobrew fr competitions and call it a day.

I wonder if that would even be necessary. I can't fathom that pick brew tastes good. I'll beliblve that when I try it.

Maples said:
Ck27 said:
Maples said:

I wonder if that would even be necessary. I can't fathom that pick brew tastes good. I'll beliblve that when I try it.

Well with the zymatic as you can add your own ingredients and make your own recipies technically it could taste as good.  But not the picovPak ones although you can modify the packs. I just don't see it. If picobrew wants to lone me one I'll honestly review it but I won't buy it. At least not untill it's $1500 cheaper and only if it pans out. I'm a fan of homebrewing the right way.

A good point - it's about getting things quickly but also having a sense of 'self-pride' in the outcome.

It's a lot of money for something that could have been purchased cheaper at a bottle shop. But I guess it's also more expensive to make your own bread in a breadmaker than it is to buy bread at a supermarket?

brewingbynight said:

A good point - it's about getting things quickly but also having a sense of 'self-pride' in the outcome.

It's a lot of money for something that could have been purchased cheaper at a bottle shop. But I guess it's also more expensive to make your own bread in a breadmaker than it is to buy bread at a supermarket?

Home brew is wayyyy cheaper than buying beer by the case. Picobrew isn't bad necessarily but i wouldn't use one at all unless they said have it for 1 month and test it for free.

Back