• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Non fermentable glitch

Javaslinger

Brewer
Reaction score
So lactose it's set it the ingredients as a non fermentable, but when added to a recipe it it's added as a fermentable throwing off all of the gravity estimations and targets.  It's not at all obvious and could lead to some big mistakes.  I hope this gets fixed!

Lactose is in the fermentable profiles.  When you add it, it contributes to the gravity of the wort.  If you go and mark it as 'not fermentable' in the ingredient profile, it still adds to the OG calculation, but no longer shows up as fermentable, so it adds gravity to the FG estimation.  Since the addition of lactose does in fact affect the gravity reading of the wort, I am not sure what you think needs to be fixed.  Anytime I have used lactose, it has added to the initial gravity.

Right now, by default, it's adds to both the OG and is considered fermentable by the FG unless you check the box.  Shouldn't the box be checked by default? 

Javaslinger said:
Right now, by default, it's adds to both the OG and is considered fermentable by the FG unless you check the box.  Shouldn't the box be checked by default?

Back in the day, Lactose was universally considered unfermentable. That was then.

There are now an array of yeasts that have the ability to metabolize lactose. Even common yeasts will consume lactose, if given enough time.

Certainly lactobacillus loves it, too.

You can go into the ingredients list and click the unfermentable box and save. This will cause all future recipes to consider it unfermentable. As Oginme already pointed out; in all cases, adding Lactose will increase OG.

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying.  I guess I would prefer that the default, when adding lactose to a grain bill, be that it is considered un-fermentable.

Then go into the ingredient profile and click on the box to treat it as non-fermentable.  Save it and it will stay that way.  You will need to update it in each recipe you already have it listed as an ingredient to make the change within a recipe, but for future recipes it will come in as non-fermentable.

Back