• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Titanic Plum Porter

Bill365

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just got back from the Stone Food & Drink festival and tasted the Titanic Plum Porter. Its an excellent pint as I'm sure many of you will know. I had a chat to the brewer and he described his recipe to me. The quantities are 975Kg Maris Otter Pale Malt, 125Kg Wheat & 100 Kg roasted (black) barley. Assuming I'm making 23L I calculate I will need 4.06Kg MO pale Malt, 520g Wheat (for head retention he said) and 420g roasted black barley. The Bramling Hops seem to be the right choice but I may need to use another type hop to balance the bitterness with the malt. Questions?
1. Do these quantities seem right to achieve 1060 OG?
2. Do I need any other malts and if so why?
3. Admiral or Northern hops to supplement the Bramlings?
4. Titanic use Plum essence food additive (how much will I need to add to 23L)? When should I add this flavour?
5. Mash time/temp 60 min? 90 min? & 66 deg C?
6. Boil time 60 min or 90 min?
7. What yeast shall I use?
8. Any other advice?

60 minute mash, I would use admiral and they are bramling cross hops. And I would say it's probably a traditional English beer yeast I would suggest S-04,Ringwood,Thames or London ale. I would use a Burton water profile probably as it is likely would would be used.

Should come out decently

I would go for London water profile....porters were traditionally London based...

Stevecurrie said:
I would go for London water profile....porters were traditionally London based...

Yes, but Burton water does work in Porter's as my water here in California is nearly identical to Burton and I make some killer Porter's

Any word on how this came out? Doing it this weekend. Halved the roasted barley with chocolate malt. Shooting for 32 ibu EKG using LD Carlsons Plum extract at bottling. I have a idea that it might be good.

FWIW the new Plum Porter cans have an ingredient list as follows :

INTERNATIONAL BITTERING UNIT
IBU 52

INGREDIENTS :
Water, Malted Barley, Wheat Malt, Malts ; Maris
Otter, Pearl Wheat, Dark Crystal, Hops ;
Pilgrim, Hercules, Goldings, Celeia,
Natural Plum Flavouring, Yeast.

That's how it is laid out - I suspect the text was designed for a different layout, then they changed it so the lines aren't right. The use of semi-colons is a little random, and I think there's a comma missing - what they're saying is that they use the Maris Otter and Pearl varieties of barley and malted wheat, rather than pearl wheat (which is a thing, it's dehusked like pearl barley).

Presumably Pilgrim and Hercules are used for bittering.

Northern Brewer said:
FWIW the new Plum Porter cans have an ingredient list as follows :

INTERNATIONAL BITTERING UNIT
IBU 52

INGREDIENTS :
Water, Malted Barley, Wheat Malt, Malts ; Maris
Otter, Pearl Wheat, Dark Crystal, Hops ;
Pilgrim, Hercules, Goldings, Celeia,
Natural Plum Flavouring, Yeast.

That's how it is laid out - I suspect the text was designed for a different layout, then they changed it so the lines aren't right. The use of semi-colons is a little random, and I think there's a comma missing - what they're saying is that they use the Maris Otter and Pearl varieties of barley and malted wheat, rather than pearl wheat (which is a thing, it's dehusked like pearl barley).

Presumably Pilgrim and Hercules are used for bittering.

Not confusing at all. First a general listing of malts followed by specific malts after the semi-colon.
Then a general listing of "hops" followed again after the semi-colon by the specific hops.

So if it says Pearl Wheat I would have to assume that is what they mean. There should be no random or vague punctuation at all. Unless labeling laws in the UK are drastically different than in the U.S. where beer labels must meet specific requirements and be approved before use and distribution.

Back