Author Topic: Is this where home brewing is headed?  (Read 12504 times)

Offline ericnik

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Is this where home brewing is headed?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »
#Texas Brewing Inc
If you are looking for a trustworthy and professional supplier of draft and serving equipment, ingredients, and other related products, then definitely contact us.  :)

Offline Maples

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
On one hand, I'd like to think I can say "more power to picobrewers". On the other hand however,  I can't help but think that an automated home brew system completely misses the point of what makes home brewing fun. It's not worth fighting it, and no one I know has argued for it's quality or fun that i've seen.

Well picobrew beer isn't real beer its the instant coffee of the beer world. At the very least ban picobrew fr competitions and call it a day.

I wonder if that would even be necessary. I can't fathom that pick brew tastes good. I'll beliblve that when I try it.

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
On one hand, I'd like to think I can say "more power to picobrewers". On the other hand however,  I can't help but think that an automated home brew system completely misses the point of what makes home brewing fun. It's not worth fighting it, and no one I know has argued for it's quality or fun that i've seen.

Well picobrew beer isn't real beer its the instant coffee of the beer world. At the very least ban picobrew fr competitions and call it a day.

I wonder if that would even be necessary. I can't fathom that pick brew tastes good. I'll beliblve that when I try it.

Well with the zymatic as you can add your own ingredients and make your own recipies technically it could taste as good.  But not the picovPak ones although you can modify the packs. I just don't see it. If picobrew wants to lone me one I'll honestly review it but I won't buy it. At least not untill it's $1500 cheaper and only if it pans out. I'm a fan of homebrewing the right way.

Offline brewingbynight

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • Brewing By Night
    • Brewing By Night
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
The system itself is around $750. Then the "picopaks" are around $25-$30 each. These are clone kits of craft beers. One pack will produce 13 bottles of beer. That's quite a bit of money, presumably to tell your buddies, "I made this."

There will probably be an increasing market for Picobrew and simiilar devices. Our world is becoming an on-demand, push-button, instant gratification experience. Take a look at Amazon Dash.

A good point - it's about getting things quickly but also having a sense of 'self-pride' in the outcome.

It's a lot of money for something that could have been purchased cheaper at a bottle shop. But I guess it's also more expensive to make your own bread in a breadmaker than it is to buy bread at a supermarket?

Offline Ck27

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
The system itself is around $750. Then the "picopaks" are around $25-$30 each. These are clone kits of craft beers. One pack will produce 13 bottles of beer. That's quite a bit of money, presumably to tell your buddies, "I made this."

There will probably be an increasing market for Picobrew and simiilar devices. Our world is becoming an on-demand, push-button, instant gratification experience. Take a look at Amazon Dash.

A good point - it's about getting things quickly but also having a sense of 'self-pride' in the outcome.

It's a lot of money for something that could have been purchased cheaper at a bottle shop. But I guess it's also more expensive to make your own bread in a breadmaker than it is to buy bread at a supermarket?

Home brew is wayyyy cheaper than buying beer by the case. Picobrew isn't bad necessarily but i wouldn't use one at all unless they said have it for 1 month and test it for free.

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Products succeed or fail based on whether or not they find a place in the market. If a product doesn't sell well enough to cover the cost of R&D as well as manufacturing and a reasonable profit margin in a reasonable amount of time, it has failed and will be discontinued. An exception to this rule is an entry level product that successfully leads consumers to a product that is profitable enough that it more than covers any lack of profit from the loss leader. Knowing this, I find no reason to condemn a product. To me that's just a waste of my time. I'm retired and my time isn't worth much. How much is your time worth?
Bob

Offline Ck27

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Products succeed or fail based on whether or not they find a place in the market. If a product doesn't sell well enough to cover the cost of R&D as well as manufacturing and a reasonable profit margin in a reasonable amount of time, it has failed and will be discontinued. An exception to this rule is an entry level product that successfully leads consumers to a product that is profitable enough that it more than covers any lack of profit from the loss leader. Knowing this, I find no reason to condemn a product. To me that's just a waste of my time. I'm retired and my time isn't worth much. How much is your time worth?
I'm far from retired lol I'm still young and because of that my time is worth more I guess. Hence why I'm not going to waste time with something unless I have a damn good reason

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Someone mentioned making bread in a bread machine. When I was in my 20s I made my own bread regularly. I had a sourdough starter going and I spent hours making bread from scratch once a week. After I got married and had children I just didn't have time to do that anymore. My sister gave me a bread machine and I used that  frequently. Of course the bread was not as good as I made before, but it was a lot better than that from the store, and it took a lot less time. Then my wife got diagnosed with celiac disease and couldn't eat my bread anymore so I stopped making it.... that's a different story.

Anyway, I can see the similarity with the picobrew story. It will save a lot of time, and the beer you make with it will likely be better than what you can buy at the supermarket, but not as good a a real hand-made homebrew.

--GF

Offline Ck27

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
Someone mentioned making bread in a bread machine. When I was in my 20s I made my own bread regularly. I had a sourdough starter going and I spent hours making bread from scratch once a week. After I got married and had children I just didn't have time to do that anymore. My sister gave me a bread machine and I used that  frequently. Of course the bread was not as good as I made before, but it was a lot better than that from the store, and it took a lot less time. Then my wife got diagnosed with celiac disease and couldn't eat my bread anymore so I stopped making it.... that's a different story.

Anyway, I can see the similarity with the picobrew story. It will save a lot of time, and the beer you make with it will likely be better than what you can buy at the supermarket, but not as good a a real hand-made homebrew.

--GF

Sorry to hear about your wife that would not be fun not being able to eat bread.

Offline Baron Von MunchKrausen

• Fermentation - a greater discovery than fire
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »
I appreciate the analogy to bread making. I too have a breadmaker that produces fantastic bread; better than store bought.
However beer making involves infinitely more variables, as Beersmith clearly evidences. Not to mention the water variables.
Back in the dark ages when I became interested in brewing, much of the equipment available today was not yet developed.
Some of the politically correct responses here miss the point. I do not "condemn" this product. My non-retired time is quite valuable. "More power to 'em" is valid if this product truly meets their needs. I simply am wondering if "push button brewing" may eventually evolve into the main stream and take all the fun and "craft" out of home brewing.
Outrageously Farfetched Brewery

Offline Ck27

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
I appreciate the analogy to bread making. I too have a breadmaker that produces fantastic bread; better than store bought.
However beer making involves infinitely more variables, as Beersmith clearly evidences. Not to mention the water variables.
Back in the dark ages when I became interested in brewing, much of the equipment available today was not yet developed.
Some of the politically correct responses here miss the point. I do not "condemn" this product. My non-retired time is quite valuable. "More power to 'em" is valid if this product truly meets their needs. I simply am wondering if "push button brewing" may eventually evolve into the main stream and take all the fun and "craft" out of home brewing.

I refuse to let it

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 05:19:54 AM »

I seriously doubt that "push button" brewing will hold most people's interest for a while, which is why I could care less about people using it.  If it does lead to some people developing a deeper interest in brewing and moving beyond the pre-made pods into home brewing, then I think it is a good thing (for them). 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »

I seriously doubt that "push button" brewing will hold most people's interest for a while, which is why I could care less about people using it.  If it does lead to some people developing a deeper interest in brewing and moving beyond the pre-made pods into home brewing, then I think it is a good thing (for them).

I love brewing it's a great hobby and it involves basic chemistry and math and stuff so it helps me keep some of those skills somewhat sharp. And I get to learn history at the same time! It's a great hobby how many other hobbies can you experiment so much.