• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone else having a lot of dud liquid Yeasts recently???

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone else been having a lot of duds from Wyeast??? My last 3 yeast packets were 3 days old from manufacturing and they all flopped 2 with a starter one without. I don't know what's wrong but it seems to be that they have awful quality control good thing that I always keep dry yeast or I would have lost several beers!

I had a bad pack of Wyeast 1335 last month, but I thought it was my fault. I ordered it online even though I don't usually do that, but it pushed my order over the threshold for free shipping. I am close to the MoreBeer warehouse, so I usually get orders in 1 day, or 2 at most. I ordered an ice pack, anyway. It turns out that they shipped from PA instead of CA, and it took 6 days to get here. The  yeast and ice pack were warm. I tried to make a starter, but it didn't grow. I went into the local MoreBeer store to get a replacement from their fridge. When I told the store manager my story he gave me the replacement for free, and I assured him that I had learned my lesson about buying yeast online. The next starter worked fine, and the beer turned out great.

Another lesson I learned is that making a starter well ahead of time is a good idea. That way you can be sure you have good yeast, and it gives you a chance to get a replacement if not.

I assumed that I had screwed up and that the yeast had gotten overheated in shipping. Maybe not...

--GF

GigaFemto said:
I had a bad pack of Wyeast 1335 last month, but I thought it was my fault. I ordered it online even though I don't usually do that, but it pushed my order over the threshold for free shipping. I am close to the MoreBeer warehouse, so I usually get orders in 1 day, or 2 at most. I ordered an ice pack, anyway. It turns out that they shipped from PA instead of CA, and it took 6 days to get here. The  yeast and ice pack were warm. I tried to make a starter, but it didn't grow. I went into the local MoreBeer store to get a replacement from their fridge. When I told the store manager my story he gave me the replacement for free, and I assured him that I had learned my lesson about buying yeast online. The next starter worked fine, and the beer turned out great.

Another lesson I learned is that making a starter well ahead of time is a good idea. That way you can be sure you have good yeast, and it gives you a chance to get a replacement if not.

I assumed that I had screwed up and that the yeast had gotten overheated in shipping. Maybe not...
--GF

I only buy hard to get liquid yeast online as my store does not have them all, sadly. I also get some yeasts direct from Imperial Yeast and those are much hardier and shipped in a styrofoam box insulated and loaded with ice packs and they overnight it and its ice cold when it get them.

More beer is great ive never had a bad order from them except when they forgot some grains from a all grain kit I ordered I got them the next day :). I buy a lot of grains from them cause my shop has a pretty extensive grain bill but not everything so I still have to buy some stuff.

I also like to buy from Williams Brewing and Northern Brewer.

I get most of my orders from more beer in 2 days cause even though they are the same distance from me as Los Angeles they take 2 days where it takes 1 from Los Angeles for same distance, ive never understood why. Williams is basically same place and they take 1 day.....

Shipping is really weird.

:)

I have never gotten a dud package of yeast from Wyeast and that is the only supplier I have used in the past 4 years.  I do buy yeast only locally and will not have yeast shipped. 

My yeast purchases have been way down, though.  I started plating yeast strains off of yeast cake saved from good fermentations and building up starters from there.  I did clean house this summer, and am now down to only about 6 yeast strains.  That is about how many new yeast packages I purchased over the past year:  used 11 different strains, 33 brew sessions, purchased 6 (3 new strains), dropped 8, kept 6.  Slowly working my way through English and Belgian strains looking for the ones that fit the best for my recipes.  It does mean that I need to be on the ball with my planning...

Oginme said:
I have never gotten a dud package of yeast from Wyeast and that is the only supplier I have used in the past 4 years.  I do buy yeast only locally and will not have yeast shipped. 

My yeast purchases have been way down, though.  I started plating yeast strains off of yeast cake saved from good fermentations and building up starters from there.  I did clean house this summer, and am now down to only about 6 yeast strains.  That is about how many new yeast packages I purchased over the past year:  used 11 different strains, 33 brew sessions, purchased 6 (3 new strains), dropped 8, kept 6.  Slowly working my way through English and Belgian strains looking for the ones that fit the best for my recipes.  It does mean that I need to be on the ball with my planning...

ive got a mutated Nottingham in my fridge in my garage thats been in it 6 days, im going to test it when I get the chance.

Back