• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Infusion Mash Temp way off

BrewerMike

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a converted keggle quarter barrel for my mash tun.  I have it set up in my equipment and have its thermal properties set as stainless.  So, a week ago I brewed a trippel and it said for a temp of 149 with 12 lbs of grain and 15 qts of water I should shoot for 165 degrees.  So after I put all the grain in the and stirred for a little the temp equalized at 160.  How could it be this far off.  I have always had this problem with my mash temps reading too high.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi,
  I would suggest dialing it up by adjusting the mash tun specific heat up.  For example if your mash tun has insulation it is going to hold heat much better.  Also, make sure the weight of your mash tun matches and that you have the "adjust temperature for equipment" box checked within the mash section of the recipe itself.

Cheers,
Brad

Ok, I think I found the problem.  Under mash profiles where you can change the mash temp.  If I am heating the water for the infusion in the mash tun, shouldn't this set it's self automatically.  because my mash tun temp should be at what the infusion temp is at.

Back