• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith equipment profile suggests wrong amounts (i think)

janriis

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all

I have created a profile for my professional setup. My gear is a boiler and MT, both containing max 460 liters of liquid. My fermenters are 300 liters+20% giving me approx 300 liters of bottling volume, so this is what i aim for

Using this profile, BS suggests that i use 246 liters of strike water at 73 degrees celcius for approx 100 kgs of grain. But with 45 liters below the false bottom, the water to grain ratio is only 2 to 1, which I think will give me a poor efficiency. BS also suggests sparge water at about 75 degrees celcius, but this will not raise my temp for mash out. My MT is not heated.
Any suggestions to changes to my equip profile ?

For info, my MT and boiler both weigh about 250 kgs.

Change your mash profile from "single infusion, medium body, no mash out" to one that includes a mash out step and you should be all set there.  I'll leave the false bottom question to others.

janriis said:
Using this profile, BS suggests that i use 246 liters of strike water at 73 degrees celcius for approx 100 kgs of grain. But with 45 liters below the false bottom, the water to grain ratio is only 2 to 1, which I think will give me a poor efficiency. BS also suggests sparge water at about 75 degrees celcius, but this will not raise my temp for mash out. My MT is not heated.

The 45 liters below the false bottom need to be added to "Mash Tun Addition". This provides your foundation water.

One thing to keep in mind is that your sparge water is usually added over time. This means that the mash bed won't reach mashout until all the water is added. This means that a true mashout really isn't going to happen.

Frankly, there are thousands of breweries that don't employ a mashout. I think it's far more important to recirculate long enough that you get at least one full cycle through of all the water in the mash. This evenly distributes the sugars and enhances efficiency.

Back