• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What Temp for Fermentation

Cabin

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello to Everyone
What temp should I ferment using Safale US-05 Ale Dry Yeast?

I'm not getting any bubbles through the lock. My temp is 64F.  Smells a little like cow poop.

TIA

Cabin

Cabin said:
Hello to Everyone
What temp should I ferment using Safale US-05 Ale Dry Yeast?

I'm not getting any bubbles through the lock. My temp is 64F.  Smells a little like cow poop.

TIA

Cabin

That's fine from 62-75 will work fine.

How long has it been fermenting?  If you have not seen any activity at all through the airlock, check your seals to make sure the airlock is fitted and that your cover is tight (or stopper is snug).

What you should be smelling is a yeasty odor from the airlock.  Other odors mixing in with it would depend upon the style you are brewing.  If you want a comparison, sprinkle a little bread yeast in warm water (about 90?F to 105?F) and cover with plastic wrap.  When you see it start foaming, peel back the corner of the plastic wrap and sniff.  That is a yeasty smell not too dissimilar to what you should get from your airlock.

Your fermentation temperature is of the pail/carboy or the air around it?  If it is the air temperature, you can figure that the wort/beer temperature is a few degrees above that during active fermentation. 

It's been fermenting 4 days.

I took a good look at the surface of the beer and I think I see bubbles so I think maybe the lid dosent seal as good as it should.

I don't smell anything around the air lock.

Im going to give this 14 days in the primary and 14 days in the secondary and then decide.

Thanks for all your help
Cabin

Is your gravity falling? Take a reading with your hygrometer or refractometer and see if it is lower then your original gravity.

Oddball said:
Is your gravity falling? Take a reading with your hygrometer or refractometer and see if it is lower then your original gravity.

I think you mean "hydrometer".  I respectfully disagree, if he's seeing activity my personal suggestion would be to leave it alone to do its thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer

Hello again
I racked the Oatmeal Stout into the secondary
Took a gravity reading = 1.10
So I have an ABV of 5.775
Looks great
Smells great

Boy am I happy!

Thanks everyone

Cabin

Back