• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2 runnings or 3

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Well,

I think its been a whopping two or maybe even three days since I started a batch sparge, efficiency thread and I know, nobody is sick of em yet  ;) so I figured I'd start another one.

When batch sparging, is there a definitive answer for how many runnings you should have.  I realize some people might mash in a small(er) cooler and have no choice but to break up their number of runnings into more than two (Initial mash with first batch sparge (first running) while the second running is the second infusion or batch sparge round 2).  This is how BS calculates the brewsheet because I know mathematically two equal runnings is supposed to be the most efficient. 

However, there are those who swear that three runnings, or draining the initial mash liquor then having two more runnings with two more infusions actually raises their efficiency? 

I'm not exactly sure what is intuitive, my cooler can handle the initial sparge volume so only two equal runnings is no problem for my system.  When it comes to efficiency, batch sparging, and water volume, does breaking the same volume of water up and running it over the grains in different rounds make a difference or are people just adding work for themselves.

I think the choice is up to you and your equipment. This is a hobby so I doubt you will get a "definitive" answer from anyone, but I also vote two sparg rounds.
First runnings, undiluted mash
Second runnings, first sparge round
Third runnings, second sparge round
I think it is considered two because you the objective is to rinse the grains with two equal runnings.
Wildrover said:
Does breaking the same volume of water up and running it over the grains in different rounds make a difference or are people just adding work for themselves.
I think as long as you don't go past 1.010 you can break it up as many times as you want (No definitive answers from me 8) ). The extraction of tannins from the grains become an issue if you sparge to much.
I always have more water on hand than what is required, and I always stop sparging when I have the boil volume. I measured the remaining a couple times and the SG average was at 1.013 (1.012 and 1.014). Yes I could have kept going but I then would have had to boil for longer to get to the boil volume and then start the clock.

Use what works for you. I think the only definitive answer out there is this "It takes good beer to make good beer" so drink your best beer when you are brewing. If you are not, thats the problem right there!

My theory: We start off making our first beer, drinking Ok (Usually Store bought) beer. This in turn makes slightly better than Ok beer. As we continue to brew we continue to drink slightly (Usually HB at this point) better beer which in turn make slightly better beer. So keep brewing and brewing, repeating the process over and over until we are making and drinking the best beer on the face of the planet. At this point in our lives we covet our beer and only share with other brewers and select friends because we now know the secret to good beer. So drink only your best beer when you brew!

I've been scouring the internet and actually found a couple of threads on this very subject on other brew boards.  Though there is no consistent answer regarding one round or two being better the one consistent thing I did find is that breaking your sparge rounds into more rounds (e.g. three runnings instead of two) does not hurt your efficiency.  In other words, though there still seems to be some debate as to whether or not more sparge rounds is better or not, no one has suggested it hurts your efficiency so why not? This is my hobby so the extra time brewing doesn't bother me. 

Back