• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Negative Sparge Volumes

big_beau408

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brewers - Why would I be getting a negative sparge vol. on my mash profile?  Ive been brewing for years, and this is really perplexing me.

Its a 27.8 lb of grain mash, and im mashing in with 43.7 quarts of water.  For some reason it says to sparge with -23 gallons of water.

Beau

A negative sparge volume means that you have too much water coming into the system from either the initial mash infusion or top off water into the fermenter.  Check these values in your equipment profile and mash profile.  Given that you are mashing in with slightly less than 11 gallons and your sparge is at -23 gallons, I would guess that you have a value in your top off water to the fermenter which is substantial.

If you find this and it does not explain the issue, export your recipe as a .bsmx file and post it here so we can diagnose where the problem may be coming from.

Edit:  The additional volume may also be coming from addition to the boil kettle expressed as 'top off water to boil kettle' in your equipment profile.

It was the top off water for kettle.  Put it to zero, and all is good!

Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers!

Attachments

• equip profile.jpeg
    equip profile.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 455
Back