• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Splitting the Mash

big_beau408

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brewers -
Im looking to brew an 1.106 SG Imperial Stout that will rest in a bourbon barrel.  Im brewing a 17 gallon batch but the grain bill (57 pounds) is larger than my mash tun will hold.  Could it be as simple as splitting the grain bill in half, and mashing twice?  Or will I run into problems?  My boil pot is 20 gal, so no problem there.  My thought is to mash half, sparge into the boiler as usual, then repeat a second mash.  Then continune with the recipe.

Thanks!  Beau

Beau,

I have been in several breweries that do exactly that.  They do several mashes and then combine them in the brew kettle.  They will bring the first mash up to almost boiling to prevent any lactobacillus or other bugs/yeast introduced by the grains/environment from starting activity while the second mash is being performed.

big_beau408 said:
Brewers -
Im looking to brew an 1.106 SG Imperial Stout that will rest in a bourbon barrel.  Im brewing a 17 gallon batch but the grain bill (57 pounds) is larger than my mash tun will hold.  Could it be as simple as splitting the grain bill in half, and mashing twice?  Or will I run into problems?  My boil pot is 20 gal, so no problem there.  My thought is to mash half, sparge into the boiler as usual, then repeat a second mash.  Then continune with the recipe.

Thanks!  Beau

That's a lot of beer! Sounds like a fun brew, what are you going to do with that much beer????

Back