• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SAFALE US-05 Yeast Cell Count

kujiraokaes

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've seen similar discussion on the yeast cell count for Safale US-05 but I haven't seen a clear conclusion.  The data sheet for Safale US-05 indicates the yeast cell count as 6B/gram.  The normal packet is 11.5 G so the cell count is 69 billion cells.  BeerSmith2 software indicates that the viable cells at 90% viability is 180 cells.  Why there is there an apparent discrepancy between the manufacturer data sheet and BeerSmith2?  thank you

Data Sheet
http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/Datasheets/Yeast%20-%20Safale%20S-05%20Yeast.pdf

kujiraokaes said:
I've seen similar discussion on the yeast cell count for Safale US-05 but I haven't seen a clear conclusion.  The data sheet for Safale US-05 indicates the yeast cell count as 6B/gram.  The normal packet is 11.5 G so the cell count is 69 billion cells.  BeerSmith2 software indicates that the viable cells at 90% viability is 180 cells.  Why there is there an apparent discrepancy between the manufacturer data sheet and BeerSmith2?  thank you

Data Sheet
http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/Datasheets/Yeast%20-%20Safale%20S-05%20Yeast.pdf

Dry has much more than liquid  yeast does I would say 200 billion plus easily. Beersmith doesn't really take into account all the variables it should. Such as age etc.

The data sheet says the number of viable cells at packaging time is GREATER THAN 6 Billion/gm, not equal to 6 Billion/gm. They often exceed the minimum by a large factor, so using 200 Billion is actually sensible.

--GF

Ck27 said:
Dry has much more than liquid  yeast does I would say 200 billion plus easily. Beersmith doesn't really take into account all the variables it should. Such as age etc.

Actually, the software does take into account the age of the yeast.  If you update the yeast entry in the recipe, you can plug in the date of manufacture for the lot of yeast you purchased.  BeerSmith will give you an estimate of the actual viable cell count based upon the manufacturer information on the storage capabilities of the yeast.  This is displayed on the 'starter' tab.  It cannot, however, account for storage conditions of the yeast which is under the control of the store and user.

Oginme said:
Ck27 said:

Actually, the software does take into account the age of the yeast.  If you update the yeast entry in the recipe, you can plug in the date of manufacture for the lot of yeast you purchased.  BeerSmith will give you an estimate of the actual viable cell count based upon the manufacturer information on the storage capabilities of the yeast.  This is displayed on the 'starter' tab.  It cannot, however, account for storage conditions of the yeast which is under the control of the store and user.

that's what I meant is that, its going to only give you a estimate if the yeast was perfectly stored, but we all know in homebrewing that's not likely to happen so it will be a bit off.

Dry yeast is much more tolerant of improper storage and handling than liquid yeast. It also has a much longer shelf life. After using liquid yeasts almost exclusively for quite some time, I've decided to go back to dry for most of what I brew. Also, while I rehydrated in  the past, I;m going to try direct pitching. It appears that the difference isn't nearly what we believed it was a few years ago.

I'm kinda the outlier when it comes to Safale-05.
It's the go-to yeast for many homebrewers, but I've tried it several times in the past.
Horrendous lag times  - which were actually less if I did not rehydrate.
I find much better results with liquid yeast and a healthy starter.
Obviously.... YMMV  ;)

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
I'm kinda the outlier when it comes to Safale-05.
It's the go-to yeast for many homebrewers, but I've tried it several times in the past.
Horrendous lag times  - which were actually less if I did not rehydrate.
I find much better results with liquid yeast and a healthy starter.
Obviously.... YMMV  ;)

Lol, that's actually kinda weird I've never had US-05 fail it starts up fast, finishes fast, ferments anything and takes temperature well it's a idiot proof yeast. :) I prefer liquid but I have to order half my liquid from the manufacturers directly because I can pretty much only get white Labs locally and let me tell you manufacturers ship yeast a lot better. Always arrives in a cold box with tubes or cans packed with ice. Cold as can be. Overnight priority shipping.

The reason you see US-05 with all the kits is because it's going to take off it's a great yeast, worth the money and doesn't taste bad like Muntons kit yeast, Cooper's kit yeast is not bad I've gotten some good beers from it. You also see Nottingham a lot cause it's reliable as well

Back