• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling problem

sdlare

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have had the last few brews very lacking in carbonation after bottling. I've tried corn sugar and tablets. Fermentation is fine, but for some reason, I'm just not getting any bubbles in my beer. I've waited two weeks and beyond. Any ideas?

sdlare said:
I have had the last few brews very lacking in carbonation after bottling. I've tried corn sugar and tablets. Fermentation is fine, but for some reason, I'm just not getting any bubbles in my beer. I've waited two weeks and beyond. Any ideas?

How big of batches, and how much sugar are you using and whats the temperature you are leaving them at to carbonate???

Greetings sdlare - there are a few reasons that could cause the problem you?re having.  But what is interesting about your question is you state: ?last few brews?.  This tells me that something in your process has changed.  I would review my process and try and find the issue.  For example:

1) has your bottle cleaning process changed?
2) has your priming sugar calculations changed?
3) has your bottle filling procedure changed?
4) are you possibley fermenting longer than in the past?
5) is the yeast somehow being killed off before you bottle?

The amount of priming sugar you add and the temperature in which you condition are important matters to be sure.  But if you?ve experienced success in the past but you have issues now, what changed?

Once bottled, if the beer doesn't carbonate, can I try to re-bottle with added yeast?

Hey there,
I just experienced similar problems. There are a few things I would think about if I were you...
Has there been any change in the bottling process, racking beer on top of priming solution and not mixing gently with sanitized spoon, rather than racking first and pouring in the solution then mixing gently. Have you cold crashed a little to long so there are not as many yeast in suspension? Are you using too much sanitizer that it kills some of your yeast as you bottle?
My issue was the uneven priming sugar distribution due to not mixing in the sugar solution as I normally do...
-Josh

Has the temperature where your beer sits to carbonate dropped? This time of year that's a common problem when carbonating beer. Find a warmer place for it.

BOB357 said:
Has the temperature where your beer sits to carbonate dropped? This time of year that's a common problem when carbonating beer. Find a warmer place for it.
+1 this was the solution for me

Back