• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Marathon Brew Day

Wastegate

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I had originally planed on brewing Sunday to show my Brother in-law how to brew AG. I had a Citrus Heff that SWMBO enjoys planned. But because I wanted to make sure everything would go as planned I originally planned on brewing a Scotch Ale on Saturday to make sure I had all my processes down. Sounds reasonable Right? Well A friend had AC problems so I went to his house to help him and did not get back in time to brew on Saturday.

Sunday rolled around, SWMBO was at her parents house, so I decided to brew two batches. Brother in-law was going to show up about 1:00 so technically I had time. Started at about 8:00am, Setup equipment, Heated up the MT and off to the races. I just finished Sparging batch 1, when Brother in-law sends me a text saying that he could not make it. So I was left with the decision to keep going or relax for half a day. You know I kept going! I drug out my second burner, emptied the MT and went at it again while batch 1 was in the kettle. I cleaned up the equipment and finished the brew day at 4.

Ok, so maybe it was not so much a Marathon, but it was fun splitting tasks between the two batches! It kept me busy for sure. I have never attempted to do three batches, but I think it can be done without going into the evening to far. I was finished with the boil of the second batch by 2:30. Technically I could have used the HLT as a second Kettle and gained some time.

Cheers

Preston

I've never done two in one day, sounds like fun but I'm usually pretty tired after 1.  I live in an apartment so I"m constantly running in and out.  No hose outside to keep things on the easy side.  Maybe if I can get my wife to be a real assistant we could do two in one day.  That would take some planning though to be sure.

I've never done a double batch day, but a double batch weekend, no problem.

Back