• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tweaking my system to BeerSmith

G

ggltd

I have just brewed a couple batches with the new version of BeerSmith and I am trying to tweak “my equipment” to get the best results. I have a homemade brew tree with 3 converted kegs. So far my final volume has been off in the fermenter, and I have missed my final gravities (low side). I plan to fix this by changing my efficiency setting to 70 %  and adding 2 more lbs. of base malt. What do you use for the mash tun dead space? I think I’m about 1.5 gal in the tun and about 1-2 gal. for trub / hops in the boil kettle.  I can then change the fields for the best results.  Suggestions please?

ggltd said:
So far my final volume has been off in the fermenter
How much are you off?

My settings:
I use .25 gallon for Lauter Tun Deadspace, .5 for Loss to Trub/Chiller. These two setting should not change much if any. I also made my Final Volume 5.5Gal.

First thing add water to your Mash tun/Lauter tun and then drain, then measure the remaining water and set this as your Deadspace measurement. Then on the next brew-day take a measurement of the Trub (I took several measurements to get an average), and set your loss to Trub. I have added .5 G to the final volume (Make sure your recipe is set to 5.5Gal also), which should help with any variances. For me its always better to have more wort than less.  Evaporation Rate could be the culprit. I have mine set for 10% per hour but not everyone boils the same in the same environment and at the same rate. So adjust this as you see fit. Hopefully this will get you in the ballpark.

Side note: I did find that when I switched from a kettle to a Keggle I lost more to Evaporation because I was not constantly on the verge of Boil over. I would just crank up the heat and let it go.
ggltd said:
I think I’m about 1.5 gal in the tun and about 1-2 gal. for trub / hops in the boil kettle.
2.5 to 3.5 Gallon loss to Trub and deadspace to me is quite excessive. It's possible, but probably not likely. I would hate to think I was loosing that much beer!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Preston

Back