• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Sock

C

crwright2020

I recently received an order of brewing ingredients and I did not get a grain sock.  Can I steep the grain loose and filter it through a strainer when transfering to the boil pot?  Will I be able to pour my sparge water through the same stainer?

I guess what I really need to know is, is there any harm in steeping my grain loose?

:'( 
Thanks

No, there is no problem steeping your grains loose. That is how you steep (Sacrification) All Grain batches. I make the assumption that you are doing a Partial Mash (PM). The grain bill in a PM is small enough that there should not be any problem. However, it would be a lot easier if you had a bag. You can go to any hardware store and pick up a 1 or 5 Gallon Nylon Paint strainer that will do the job more efficiently than a grain sock, and its reusable. I use them for Hops additions also.

Cheers

Preston

I'd say you're better off keeping your grain loose, as long as you can strain it out effectively before the boil.

For a small grain bill like PM. The 5 gallon Paint strainer would be perfect. You could add the grains, Seal it off and then drop it in the water. Best of both worlds, DONE!

Cheers

Preston

Back