Author Topic: Batch Sparge - sparge water temps on brewsheet say 168?  (Read 3920 times)

f-n-s brewing

Batch Sparge - sparge water temps on brewsheet say 168?
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »
Just purchased BeerSmith and have a question on Batch Sparge / mash profile.

When I preview the brewsheet, its shows the temps for both infusions of sparge water to be 168. I know this is not correct because I really want my mash to be closer to 168 AFTER I add the amounts of water. So I know the temps should be higher.

Is there a way to correct for this in BeerSmith, or did I not set up my mash profile correctly? Or do I need to figure this out on my own?

I was hoping BeerSmith would calculate this for me based on my equipment if I entered my target mashout / sparge temp somewhere.

Thanks for any help, I realize I may be missing something really simple or the option just isn't there.

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Batch Sparge - sparge water temps on brewsheet say 168?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:36:03 AM »
Welcome F-N-S (Off topic: What does F-N-S stand for?)
When I preview the brewsheet, its shows the temps for both infusions of sparge water to be 168. I know this is not correct because I really want my mash to be closer to 168 AFTER I add the amounts of water. So I know the temps should be higher.
I would say that BeerSmith is right on the money. To high a temp during sparging will cause the extraction of Tannins "Mouth Puckering off flavors". If you are worried about getting the Grains up to temp, you should be doing a Mash out. Either way the grains will come up to temp.
Or do I need to figure this out on my own?
Your not in this alone, there are lots of knowledgeable people out there so don't be afraid to ask.  ;D

Cheers

Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

beerthirty

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:24:10 AM »
You can adjust your temps for sparging by clicking on details in mash profile on the recipe veiw. I have raised eff. and not gotten any astringency by raising the temp of sparge water to 185*. I don't mash out and I drain my tun first. Some will say that this is too hot, but the first batch raises the grain temp to about 172*(perfect) and the second hot sparge takes it to about 178*-180* which allows a better rinse of sugars. No one that has ever critiqued  my beer has ever mentioned astringency.  This method also allows for big beers and a partyguilye when I'm so inclined.

f-n-s brewing

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the input. I was hoping Beersmith would automatically calculate the approximate sparge water temp according the volume of water needed for the batch sparge to bring my mash up to around 168- 170. On my last brew I was low on my mash temp for sparging ( 160 ), but at least this last batch I was at about 60% eff. so I did better than previous batches where I got around 50-55%.

Again, I was just hoping that the software would automatically put the correct sparge temp on the brewsheet.

modification