• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge - sparge water temps on brewsheet say 168?

F

f-n-s brewing

Just purchased BeerSmith and have a question on Batch Sparge / mash profile.

When I preview the brewsheet, its shows the temps for both infusions of sparge water to be 168. I know this is not correct because I really want my mash to be closer to 168 AFTER I add the amounts of water. So I know the temps should be higher.

Is there a way to correct for this in BeerSmith, or did I not set up my mash profile correctly? Or do I need to figure this out on my own?

I was hoping BeerSmith would calculate this for me based on my equipment if I entered my target mashout / sparge temp somewhere.

Thanks for any help, I realize I may be missing something really simple or the option just isn't there.

Welcome F-N-S (Off topic: What does F-N-S stand for?)
When I preview the brewsheet, its shows the temps for both infusions of sparge water to be 168. I know this is not correct because I really want my mash to be closer to 168 AFTER I add the amounts of water. So I know the temps should be higher.
I would say that BeerSmith is right on the money. To high a temp during sparging will cause the extraction of Tannins "Mouth Puckering off flavors". If you are worried about getting the Grains up to temp, you should be doing a Mash out. Either way the grains will come up to temp.
Or do I need to figure this out on my own?
Your not in this alone, there are lots of knowledgeable people out there so don't be afraid to ask.  ;D

Cheers

Preston

You can adjust your temps for sparging by clicking on details in mash profile on the recipe veiw. I have raised eff. and not gotten any astringency by raising the temp of sparge water to 185*. I don't mash out and I drain my tun first. Some will say that this is too hot, but the first batch raises the grain temp to about 172*(perfect) and the second hot sparge takes it to about 178*-180* which allows a better rinse of sugars. No one that has ever critiqued  my beer has ever mentioned astringency.  This method also allows for big beers and a partyguilye when I'm so inclined.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping Beersmith would automatically calculate the approximate sparge water temp according the volume of water needed for the batch sparge to bring my mash up to around 168- 170. On my last brew I was low on my mash temp for sparging ( 160 ), but at least this last batch I was at about 60% eff. so I did better than previous batches where I got around 50-55%.

Again, I was just hoping that the software would automatically put the correct sparge temp on the brewsheet.

Back