• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Crazy Fementation

C

crwright2020

I was wondering if anyone else has run across this. 

I brewed a 5 gal batch Saturday night and is now fermenting in a 6.5 gal bucket (primary).  Sunday night I noticed that the fermentation came up through my air lock popped the cap and bubbling over.  :eek:  I removed the air lock, cleaned, refilled, and replaced it.

Monday morning it when I checked again it was bone dry.    ??? 

I cleaned and refilled it again.  I have not been home yet today to see if the air lock still has any water since this morning.

Because the air lock was compromised (twice) is it possible that the wort may be contaminated and I will be disappointed in 6 to 8 weeks or should I ride this one out to the end.

I would say ride it out. The yeast is expelling lots of Co2 which is heavier than air keeping the beer covered in a blanket of Co2 during active fermentation. Also the Alcohol content in the beer will kill most of the nasties. I would say you are going to be fine.

I keep a spray bottle around with some StarSan (Sanitizer found at most HB stores) mix and spray the stopper before it is removed when taking gravity readings. You could do the same for when you have a blow off.

I've had a few vigorous fermentations that reached the top of my bucket, and since then I will not use glass as a primary.
When I've come home and found bits of brew in my airlock I rig up a blow hose until the bulk of the fermentation subsides.
A coworker actually had his airlock clog and the lid blow off the top of his bucket, what a mess!
Even so he salvaged the brew.

From what you've said you've had positive pressure in the fermentation vessel, which means no incoming air to bring wild yeast.
And as Preston said, CO2 is heavier than air, so no worries of an aerobic bacterial infection.

In other words, don't worry about it.

I always use a blowoff tube for the first couple of days. I make yeast starters, which always make initial fermentation quite intense. After about 48 hours, I replace the blowoff tube with a standard bubbler, and all is well.

FYI...

When I ferment my brew, i use a blow off tube as well.  How long I use it depends on where the kreausen sits.  If it is high in the fermentor I leave the blow off tube installed.  Usually once it falls is when I swap over to a air lock.  This was learned the hard way when I hade to reinstall my air lock three time in one week because it clogged and blew off.

Back