• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Belgian Tripel Recipe

gruversm

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Would you check out my version of a Belgian Tripel recipe?  Rather than using a Belgian Sugar, a friend of mine successfully used Horehound candy.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Neuman Belgian Tripel Horehound
Brewer: Steve Gruver
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 7.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 11.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
12.65 lb      Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)              Grain        85.76 %       
0.55 lb       Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM)           Grain        3.73 %       
0.55 lb       Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)    Grain        3.73 %       
1.04 oz       Northern Brewer [8.50 %]  (60 min)        Hops         24.9 IBU     
1.04 oz       Saaz [3.40 %]  (60 min)                   Hops         9.0 IBU       
1.00 lb       Candi Sugar, Horehound (75.0 SRM)         Sugar        6.78 %       
0 Pkgs        Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [StarterYeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 17.19 qt of water at 170.1 F    154.0 F       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in this. I was at the Cracker Barrel this weekend and seen some of this candy http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online/shopping/Product.asp?cat_id=45&sku=575600. Have you tasted any beer with this in it, and when are you making this beer?
I don't know if I would substitute Belgian Candy in a Belgian Triple for this, but it does sound interesting!

Let us know!

Cheers

Preston

A friend of mine brewed this with Horehound candy and it was amazing!

Do you pulverize the sticks or lozenges first?  Sounds interesting.

Back