• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What was your weirdest brew?

T

ttreml3

I'm just curious as I am contemplating mixing some favorite flavors, (recipes to come perhaps)...
I've seen a recipe for pizza beer in the BYO archives, sampled some shitake beer from Appleton, WI...
What have you folks brewed or tasted?
Curiously,
T

Edit: built in screen for "naughty words" caught the spelling for the gourmet mushroom s h i t a k e

I brewed a ginger ale once - but frankly it did not come out well.  It was one of those brews you would not want to share with your friends.  

I've sampled both garlic beer and jalepeno beer at beer tastings.  The garlic was almost bearable to taste, but not something I would want to casually drink.  Maybe it would have been better with pizza.  The jalepeno was undrinkable - I almost spit it out.

Also at the top of my list of "do-no-try-this" was a friend who made Spruce beer and put in about 3 times as much spruce as he should have.  The beer had roughly the same flavor as pine tar.

Cheers!
Brad

I guess the weirdest thing I tried to do was make a Blue Ale. Being a Star Trek nut  I was making Romulin Ale. I added Borage flowers to turn it blue, when that didn't work I threw in a handfull of licorace mint and some tequila when I bottled it
:-/

I also brewed a gingered ale about a year ago, but was very happy with the results!  I have also done a blackberry porter.  I am considering a jalapeno beer, but I am hesitant to get too weird, because the time and monetary costs are too high for the amount of brewing to make a batch that just comes out bad  ???

Brewerbill,
I did a pepper wheat a few years ago that turned out really nice.  I used cerranos (sp?) jalapeno and little red tai devels, but only a few per.  There was a great peppery flavor, some flavor from the peppers I roasted and just a slight afterburn.  Kinda like eating your favorite salsa.  I've had other pepper beers that you can't have more then a sip, but this one didn't turn out that bad.  Not a session beer, but hey...
t

I once had a Habanero Wheat beer from Santa Barbara Brewing Company that was incredibly spicy. That being the strangest, my favorite would have the be the Westlvteren Barleywine. Incredible. Unfortunately it is not available here in the states. Only at the brewery, Abbey St. Sixtus in Belgium.

Darin

Being that hops are closely related to certain illegal plants, I've always wondered what would happen if one substituted illegal herb for hops in a given brew.

*DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY*

Maine Homebrewer said:
Being that hops are closely related to certain illegal plants, I've always wondered what would happen if one substituted illegal herb for hops in a given brew.

*DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY*

A friend just said today that people on another forum had tried it and it did nothing. 

A friend just said today that people on another forum had tried it and it did nothing. 

Sounds like an expensive way to be disappointed, they don't give that stuff away.

I had tried to make a batch using maple sap instead of water, but it got contaminated and went down the drain.
It wasn't the fault of the sap, I made the mistake of racking the brew in the basement and the air is bad down there.

Back