• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting up batch sparge options

brian-d

Apprentice
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I last brewed and used Beer Smith. For the life of me I cannot set the batch sparge for only two stages. What I would like to see is (drain mash tun, Batch sparge with XXXX gallons. The software is showing 4-6 stages.  :mad: How do I change the settings for just two stages? Thanks.

You may be able to do this depending upon the size of your pot or mash tun. 

The first thing to do is look at the balance of water between infusion and sparge.  Take you expected pre-boil volume.  Subtract any water that you may use to top off the kettle.  Divide this number by two.  Take the result and add in the volume for grain absorption and volume for 'mash tun dead space'. 

Now open up your mash profile and edit it.  Change the infusion step volume to the volume you just calculated [ (pre-boil vol - top off vol)/2+grain absorption + Mash Tun Dead Space)].  Save this and update your recipe with this new mash profile. 

Now check your steps and 'mash volume needed' on the mash tab.  Make sure this number does not exceed the volume available in your mash tun.  If there is no red dot next to this value, you are in good shape.  If there is a red dot next to it, you will need to reconfigure your mash profile for at least two sparge steps.

Back