Author Topic: Anyone else having poor OG with Briess 2 row??  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Anyone else having poor OG with Briess 2 row??
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
I must have gotten some bad grains or something did everything right expected 1.055 got 1.034... have no clue what happened had to dump some DME into my robobrew to save beer.

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
Re: Anyone else having poor OG with Briess 2 row??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
Grind or mash temp error come to mind. If the grain was old or improperly stored, I suppose there could be issues as well, but I would expect some error as the culprit.
Bob

Offline Ck27

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »
Grind or mash temp error come to mind. If the grain was old or improperly stored, I suppose there could be issues as well, but I would expect some error as the culprit.

It's not my error I can assure you crush was perfect mash temp was 152F so absolutely no chance it's my fault.

Offline Ck27

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »

I bought grains 3 days ago and was told shipment was 2 days old at the shop so I'm thinking unless Briess sat the grains in some warehouse for months before my shop got then idk how they would be stale

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »
It is most common to blame the maltster when in fact they have pretty amazing controls on their process and storage facilities.  I would request the lot number from the bag the grains came from and look up the COA for that lot.  It has been several years since I bought a bag of base malt from Briess, but I would bet they still have the date of packaging on the report.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »
It is most common to blame the maltster when in fact they have pretty amazing controls on their process and storage facilities.  I would request the lot number from the bag the grains came from and look up the COA for that lot.  It has been several years since I bought a bag of base malt from Briess, but I would bet they still have the date of packaging on the report.

turns out it was the maltster this time, I emailed them and they told me that I should not be seeing green grains that they might have been harvested too early.

Offline brewfun

• Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
turns out it was the maltster this time, I emailed them and they told me that I should not be seeing green grains that they might have been harvested too early.

Can you please post the lot number to this? Malt is created tens of tons at a time, so this is no small issue. At the very least, low extract should be part of their lot analysis report.

Malting barley is typically the finest portion of the whole year's crop. The rest goes to cereal and animal feed. Within the industry, candidate crops go through at least two pre-malting analysis processes and several during and after malting. At more than one point, undersized kernals are sieved out and either reprocessed as a roast grain or go to animal feed. Briess is a large, professional, consistent company with many awards for quality, sustainability and innovation.

Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline Ck27

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »

Can you please post the lot number to this? Malt is created tens of tons at a time, so this is no small issue. At the very least, low extract should be part of their lot analysis report.

Malting barley is typically the finest portion of the whole year's crop. The rest goes to cereal and animal feed. Within the industry, candidate crops go through at least two pre-malting analysis processes and several during and after malting. At more than one point, undersized kernals are sieved out and either reprocessed as a roast grain or go to animal feed. Briess is a large, professional, consistent company with many awards for quality, sustainability and innovation.

When i get home I'll pm you the details on the lot.

Offline RLinNH

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
I bought a bag of Briess 2 Row about 6-7 years ago from a guy that stopped homebrewing. Long story short, same thing happened to me. I also had to add some DME to up O.G. Needless to say, I have never bought another Briess product since. When it comes to American 2 row, Rahr is the only grain I buy.

Offline Ck27

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »
I bought a bag of Briess 2 Row about 6-7 years ago from a guy that stopped homebrewing. Long story short, same thing happened to me. I also had to add some DME to up O.G. Needless to say, I have never bought another Briess product since. When it comes to American 2 row, Rahr is the only grain I buy.

I regularly use great western malts,rahr, and I can't remember but theirs a company in Texas that makes malts.

Usually though I make British beers so most of my grains are from crisp, Muntons, Thomas Fawcett etc. Never had a issue with any of those grains.

Offline bowhunter64

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »
I was going to ask a similar question. I have been having the same problems and also noticed a lot of chaff,debris and clumps of what appears to be dust that got wet and balled up. I just made a dubbel using some pilsner malt [unknown brand] and had none of the issues I had with briess 2 row. not saying anything bad about them but they must be having some issues.

Offline Ck27

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
I was going to ask a similar question. I have been having the same problems and also noticed a lot of chaff,debris and clumps of what appears to be dust that got wet and balled up. I just made a dubbel using some pilsner malt [unknown brand] and had none of the issues I had with briess 2 row. not saying anything bad about them but they must be having some issues.

yeah, my shop told me that they got a bad batch the other day from briess, I mean not knocking briess. All the pilsner malt I use is Weyermann if I recall...
my shop has stuff from Canada, Scotland, US, Belgium, UK and Germany.

Offline RLinNH

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
When it comes to a Pilsner malt. Wyermann is the only malt I buy.

Offline RLinNH

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »

Let's just talk openly and honestly here. No one is looking over your shoulder. Briess, I stay away from with a 10' pole. Maybe some people here have been using their malts for years, and with success. Me, no sir.

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
I haven't used Briess 2-row,  but I have used other malts of theirs (Munich, Victory, Caramel, chocolate) with no problems at all. Of course the kind of issues being discussed here for 2-row are not likely to be an issue with 2 oz of Chocolate malt.

--GF

modification